Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Hydro test expired

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
wlssox524
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Hydro test expired

Hi all,

I just picked up my first 5# tank of CO2 at my local homebrew store. The tank they gave me hasn't been hydro tested since 2005. I noticed at the store but they gave me some story about how it was fine and they weren't passing on the cost of the hydro test.

I should have put up some more resistance but I didn't because they were low on stock and I didn't want to come back. The tank doesn't have any big dents or anything but should I be ok with this? It's be kind of a pain to go back and try to get another one but I will if it's unsafe to have an expired tank

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There is more danger in filling an expired tank than there is in using it, but there is still some question. However there is no way in hell I would go into a store that is knowingly filling out of date tanks. When a tank does blow you don't want to be anywhere around it. Personally after seeing the after affects of a blown scuba tank I would turn them in.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Tarks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You won't be able to get it re-filled until an h-test has been done. If your tank is currently full, use it up, it will be fine. I get my tanks serviced at the local fire extinguisher company. They are the cheapest alternative in my area.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 118

I want to know who they had fill the tank... are they filling them in house? Or sending them out?

No legitimate supplier will fill a tank that doesn't have a valid hydro test. I don't mess around with compressed gas safety, and I have no tolerance for "professionals" that ignore national safety standards/regulations. I wouldn't hesitate to report them, not sure to who though. OSHA maybe? CGA?

Old 12-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

It is very unlikely that your tank will fail any time soon. Some people on the board have tanks dating back to pre-WWI. Failures happen, but the valve is more likely to be a problem. There is also a blow-out disk in the valve, which will go first. A few people have had this happen; it's exciting, so I hear.

I'd go ahead and use it. When it's time to refill, go to a welding shop that exchanges tanks and exchange it. The shop will test it, refill it and pass it onto someone else. The first time I took my old steel tank in, they asked me if aluminum was okay. I asked what the extra charge would be. "None, we just like to save the steel tanks for people who demand them. They pass the same hydro test"

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
Tarks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
I want to know who they had fill the tank... are they filling them in house? Or sending them out?

No legitimate supplier will fill a tank that doesn't have a valid hydro test. I don't mess around with compressed gas safety, and I have no tolerance for "professionals" that ignore national safety standards/regulations. I wouldn't hesitate to report them, not sure to who though. OSHA maybe? CGA?
I would start with DOT.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Why not just used it and then bring it back to your LHBS?

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 12-16-2012, 10:11 PM   #8
wlssox524
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear101
Why not just used it and then bring it back to your LHBS?
I have no problem with doing this I'm just new to kegging and concerned about safety while I use it if it hasn't been certified in 6 years

Old 12-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 943 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 484

I would go ahead and use it then bring it back to them and make sure you get a passed one when they swap it out for you. I would also make sure that if you go back to them that they do not charge you to do a hydro test on a tank that is 'new' to you from them. I would bring my receipt if i have it when you do the trade in and not accept an expired one. If they try it again, I would find elsewhere to get gas. Not worth the hassle/cost/potential for catastrophic gas dispursal.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hydro dates are only for filling. Both for safety and legality standards you can use an expired tank - you just cant fill it. Find a 20 year old tank in your basement that's full - no problem, use it. Just don't refill it. Any failures are going to be on filling, not while it's being emptied.

You're safe - just make sure you note the problem when you swap it out and if they continue to try to give you expired tanks talk to the manager. That's not cool.

Quick Reply