Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How are you supposed to clean a keg when it runs out?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
bgough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How are you supposed to clean a keg when it runs out?

Do you guys disassemble them completely, just rinse them with cleaner or what?

I was thinking maybe I would just fill it with star san, then hook up the co2 and flush the lines. Is this a good idea?

Just wondering what process you all use.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Orangevango
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im a new kegger, but when my first keg ran out i just put a gallon or so of hot water in it and shook it, pushed that through the line with co2 and then put a few gallons of starsan in it and did the same.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I rinse them out, then soak them overnight in OxyClean, rinse, then rinse with StarSan and fill. If they get REALLY nasty I will soak them overnight with PBW.

Having said that..i have been known to open a lid on am empty, fill with a keg ready beer, pressurize, and drink. But don't tell anyone...

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Old 04-30-2009, 06:17 PM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

[QUOTE=MNBugeater;1294695]I rinse them out, then soak them overnight in OxyClean, rinse, then rinse with StarSan and fill. If they get REALLY nasty I will soak them overnight with PBW.

Having said that..i have been known to open a lid on am empty, fill with a keg ready beer, pressurize, and drink. But don't tell anyone...[/QUOTE]

I do that too

Old 04-30-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
springer

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBugeater View Post
I rinse them out, then soak them overnight in OxyClean, rinse, then rinse with StarSan and fill. If they get REALLY nasty I will soak them overnight with PBW.

Having said that..i have been known to open a lid on am empty, fill with a keg ready beer, pressurize, and drink. But don't tell anyone...
I do that too

me too....

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 04-30-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Proof that keggers are lazy azzes.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Weizenheimer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I take mine apart between uses and wash them in hot water. I soak all the pieces in an Idaphor mixture before reassembling. Then I reassemble using keg lube on the gaskets and put about a gallon of idaphor mixture in the keg. Put the lid on and shake making sure to coat the entire inside of the keg. Then I forced it out with Co2 through my lines and tap. Then I let the keg drip dry for 15 minutes or so. I only use oxyclean if I still can't get the keg clean which the hot water almost always does. I find and oxyclean soak between every keg to be overkill.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
foxtrot
Recipes 

First thing, I leave the keg in the fridge until I have time to clean it so bugs don't start growing, and so the beer doesn't dry up to much. Personnaly, I competely disassemble the keg. It's not too much work and gives me peace of mind that the next batch will be sanitary. 5 gallons of hard-earned beer is a lot at stake IMHO.

I rinse the keg with hot water using a kitchen spayer, then add about one gallon of hot Oxyclean solution. Scrub interior and top of keg with a carboy brush, scrub all parts with same solution. Re-assemble the keg, connect beer and gas line and discharge the oxy solution through the beer line and picnic tap using CO2. Rinse keg well with hot water. Fill keg with about a gallon of hot water and discharge through the beer line with CO2. Add about a quart of starsan solution and coat interior of keg by rolling on floor. Discharge starsan out through beer line. I store the beer line assembly in the fridge until needed to keep sanitary. The keg gets filled immediately with the next batch!

Might be over-kill, but I sleep better at night.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4633 Times on 4315 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post
Proof that keggers are lazy azzes.
Isn't that why we spent the money in the first place?

I have a pretty large empty pipeline (6 taps and 20 kegs. 13 empty) right now and typically bulk clean my kegs (4 or more). I rinse it out when it kicks and usually set it aside for chemical cleaning once I have enough.

I break it down fill it with hot water, 1 tbsp PBW and an overnight soak. Rinse and invert to dry. Once dried, I close it up and pressurize it (equal to my CO2) with compressed air.

When I need a new keg, I grab a clean one. If I can open the lid witout relieving the pressure then I know it leaks and needs additional service and I tag it. Otherwise, I'll bleed it add 1 cup StarSan, close it and shake the hell out of it. For the dip tubes, I just depress the poppet and shoot StarSan down into it.

If I didn't have the cleaned lineup. I'd rinse out the empty, spritz it and fill it.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I fill it with about 2 gal of weak-ish PBW solution (which gets reused...I measure the pH), then invert the whole keg (no lid) into a bucket and place the lid/o-ring into the bucket as well. This allows the whole top of the keg (inside and out) to be submerged in PBW. I'll also manually depress the poppets to make sure they get exposed. Then a very thorough rinse (making sure to get the poppets/dip tubes/relief valve)...then about 2 gal Starsan or Iodophor (Starsan gets reused) with the sanitized lid on. Keg right side up...then upside down. Then I push most of the Starsan out using CO2 and leave the lid on with a little CO2 pressure until just moments before I fill it.

Every 4th brew or so I disassemble.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply