The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How would you do it ? Bottle some, keg the rest

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default How would you do it ? Bottle some, keg the rest

So I am just getting into kegging and am trying to figure out the easiest way to bottle some and keg the rest. I use 22oz bottles and brew 5 gallon batches.

I want to bottle about a gallon and keg the other 4. What would be the best way to prime/carbonate my bottles ? I want to force carb the keg so adding priming sugar to the bottling bucket wont work. How would you go about it ?

Thanks for the info !

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
Almighty
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

So you want to force carb the keg. Why don't you wait till the beer is carbed then fill bottles from the tap or use a bottle filler?

Do you want to force carb the keg, but carb the bottles with sugar?
Then all you would do is rack to your keg, then immediately push a gal to a bottling bucket . Add your priming sugar for one gallon and bottle.

Not sure what you are asking.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
_JP_
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I was up against the same dilemma.

Bottling from the keg makes the most sense. There are plenty of how-to's out there, and bobby_m even has a youtube video.

Basically, after the beer's been conditioned in the keg, turn the serving pressure down to 5psi or less, and dispense through picnic tap/tubing into the bottle. Top with beer foam (to purge oxygen), and cap as usual.

this way, you're not worried about over/under priming, and can always fill more bottles. Plus, no sediment in the bottles.

Working on:
summer gardening

Upcoming projects:
NG line for outdoor burner

Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I have a kegerator kit on order and already had some cornys. For my last batch (8 gallons), I racked from my fermenter (10 gallon corny) to a five gallon corny without priming and then the rest into a bottling bucket. My estimates were spot on and I ended up with three gallons in the bottling bucket. Primed that according to the tastybrew priming calulator.

I figure it will be good to see what difference the bottle priming and force carbing has on the beer. Admittedly, it wasn't a great beer to begin with. It was a disaster brewday.

in the future, I'll likely hook up a bottling gun for bottling post-carbing in the keg.

Look for the "We no need no stinkin' beer gun" thread.

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #5
Wingfan13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty View Post
So you want to force carb the keg. Why don't you wait till the beer is carbed then fill bottles from the tap or use a bottle filler?

Do you want to force carb the keg, but carb the bottles with sugar?
Then all you would do is rack to your keg, then immediately push a gal to a bottling bucket . Add your priming sugar for one gallon and bottle.

Not sure what you are asking.
I was just wondering what the easiest way to do this would be. I am used to the prepacked bag of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch and was just thinking about the easiest way.

Thanks for all the input.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Well sure as hell don't put 5 gallons worth of priming sugar into only a gallon or beer!!

Use a priming calculator.

http://tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
bowiefan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfan13 View Post
I was just wondering what the easiest way to do this would be. I am used to the prepacked bag of priming sugar for a 5 gallon batch and was just thinking about the easiest way.

Thanks for all the input.
The absolute easiest way is to force carb and bottle from the keg. Search bottling wand for perlick owners.

Fat Toad Brewery

Old 07-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #8
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowiefan View Post
The absolute easiest way is to force carb and bottle from the keg. Search bottling wand for perlick owners.
That's the plan for me, when my setup is complete!

Heck, I didn't see you were in Bowie, MD. I just thought you were a Ziggy Stardust fan.

I may have to pick up my bottler in person when I get around to ordering one. So you can give me a one-on-one demonstration. Haha.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
bowiefan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
HomeBrewTalk 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSmooth View Post
That's the plan for me, when my setup is complete!

Heck, I didn't see you were in Bowie, MD. I just thought you were a Ziggy Stardust fan.

I may have to pick up my bottler in person when I get around to ordering one. So you can give me a one-on-one demonstration. Haha.
Nope, don't even have a "Little china girl". The name originated on a local sports message board. Give me a holler and stop on by, looks like we may have to have a BBQ throwdown as well.

Fat Toad Brewery

Quick Reply