Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Bottling/Kegging (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/)
-   -   How to tell the current PSI level of your beer? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/how-tell-current-psi-level-your-beer-267756/)

cincybrewer 09-09-2011 06:12 PM

How to tell the current PSI level of your beer?
 
I kegged a beer on monday that I want ready for a party tomorrow so I have been messing around with the co2 levels a little. Long story short, I'm not sure how to tell what psi (or maybe the correct terminology is volume of co2) the beer is currently sitting at. I know how to set it to say, 12 psi, but if I set it at that level, will the regulator still show 12 if it happens to have more co2 in solution?

Hopefully I'm making sense with my question.

BainbridgeBrewer 09-09-2011 06:16 PM

If you turn off your tank while leaving the valve open the gauge should read what pressure the keg is at. You can test by letting some gas out the relief valve until the needle starts to fall.

cincybrewer 09-09-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BainbridgeBrewer (Post 3242514)
If you turn off your tank while leaving the valve open the gauge should read what pressure the keg is at. You can test by letting some gas out the relief valve until the needle starts to fall.

So when performing this test it doesn't matter whether the gauge is turned off or set to 30, it should automatically go to whatever pressure is inside the keg? I was hoping there was some way to test it like this..Thanks!

samc 09-09-2011 06:42 PM

Best test of all is to pour a pint and drink. The gauge may be wrong but hopefully your mouth is in working order.

BainbridgeBrewer 09-09-2011 06:46 PM

To answer your first question directly whatever your gauge says is the pressure in the keg. If you have the regulator set to what would amount to 12 PSI, but the gauge still says 30 PSI, then the keg is sitting at 30 PSI. in order to drop it down to 12 you'd just pull the relief valve on top of the keg until you hear the gas start to flow into the keg again.

wyzazz 09-09-2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BainbridgeBrewer (Post 3242514)
If you turn off your tank while leaving the valve open the gauge should read what pressure the keg is at. You can test by letting some gas out the relief valve until the needle starts to fall.

Unless of course you've got a check valve somewhere in the gas line. :D

BainbridgeBrewer 09-09-2011 06:58 PM

Yikes you're right. All this time I thought mine had a check valve. I guess that wouldn't make sense now though. Perhaps mine is on the tank side of the regulator and not the hose barb side. I'll have to go home and take a look.

cincybrewer 09-09-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samc (Post 3242595)
Best test of all is to pour a pint and drink. The gauge may be wrong but hopefully your mouth is in working order.

Unfortunately I don't trust my mouth. I'm not very good at telling the carb level, especially when a beer is young. I have trouble diferrentiating between whether there is a carb bite, bitterness from the hops, harshness from the water, etc...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BainbridgeBrewer (Post 3242614)
To answer your first question directly whatever your gauge says is the pressure in the keg. If you have the regulator set to what would amount to 12 PSI, but the gauge still says 30 PSI, then the keg is sitting at 30 PSI. in order to drop it down to 12 you'd just pull the relief valve on top of the keg until you hear the gas start to flow into the keg again.

Thanks...so let's say I have my beer/fridge set to 40 degrees and I'm looking for co2 volumes of 2.47 (based on kegerators.com's chart). To ensure that the co2 volume is about 2.47, I would just have to make sure I get the psi to the point that when I set the regulator to 12, it stays there? For example, if I set it to 12 but it rises up to 15, I know there is too much co2 in the keg and need to purge (probably a few times) in order to lower the co2 volume. And in contrast, if I set it to 12 but it drops to 10, I know there is too little co2 in the keg and therefore need to increase the psi to bring it up. Is that accurate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyzazz (Post 3242640)
Unless of course you've got a check valve somewhere in the gas line. :D

My regulator does not have a check valve.

BainbridgeBrewer 09-09-2011 07:16 PM

That sounds like you've got it.

jonp9576 09-09-2011 07:26 PM

i could be completly wrong here, but if you just kegged it monday, i dont think its carbonated yet if you just set the presure ald left it. i feel like mine takes a solid 2 weeks at pressure and at temperature before its where i want it.

also, those number above seem correct, but i feel like something is missing. i am not sure if its the co2 levels equaling out to the pressure in the keg or what, but something just seems a little off. it seems to be that after 5 says at temperature and pressure the beer is still absorbing co2 at a pretty good rate and it could throw those numbers off.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:20 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.