Last week to Enter the Spike Brewing 20 Gallon Sight Glass Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How to store beer for 4 months and serve for wedding

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
amcheste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to store beer for 4 months and serve for wedding

Hello,

I am getting married in about 4 months. My future wife and I are giving away a bottle of homebrew to each guest as a wedding favor. Since we have a large guest list I have started the brewing process last month since it requires a fair amount of batches.

My first batch is bottle conditioning now. I usually keg my beer so I am a little out of my comfort zone.

My question is what is the best way to store this beer for the next 4 months. I have done a little research and found that sunlight and heat can lead to spoiled beer. I have a chest freezer with a temp controller which I can use to store the beer until it is time for the wedding.

I am not really sure what the best temperature to store this beer should be. Do I want to refrigerate it or keep it around 55-60?

The next issue is if I keep it at a lower temperature for storage will it be okay to give to people then at room temperature for them to chill at a later date? Or do I need to maintain this temperature at all times?

I am very open to suggestions of the best way to store and server this beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #2
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 407 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Sunlight will skunk beer. Warming them up then chilling again will not cause skunking, though warm storage will make them age faster. If the beer is already where you want it flavor wise then storing it cool would be best. Of course you need to make sure the carbonation process is finished. Personally if I were you I would bottle them off the keg. With transport, etc. the dregs may get shaken up and you may have some folks who don't know how to pour a bottle conditioned beer. You also will be assured of uniform carbonation.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 258

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the wedding.

Increased temperature will increase the speed of aging. If you think the beer could use some aging, leave it at cellar temps (50-60F). Your beer will still age at fridge temps, just slower. To preserve the beer's character close to where it is, throw it in the fridge.

Nothing bad will happen to your beer with the change in temperature, just an increase in the rate of aging at the warm temp.

In general, the beer itself should determine the storage temp. A high ABV stout would probably be better after 4 months of storage at 55F. However, an IPA stored at 55F for 4 months would loose a fair amount of its hop flavor and aroma.

What have you made and what is up next?

Bacteria are the only culture some people have.

Quick Reply