Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How to Remove a Miller Threaded Keg Valve (not retained by a spiral ring)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #11
IBolotov638
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Спасибо мужик подсобил. Наверно челый час возился всё никак понять немог где этот крючек.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 03:28 AM   #12
Trouble-Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bringing this back from the dead. We have a bunch of these kegs at the brewery I work at and we discovered an easier way to pull them out then the tool described in the op.

Pull the bottom gasket off of the coupler so the coupler will not seal. Then find a bolt that will fit in the small hole in the bottom of the coupler. Unscrew the spear then tap it like a full keg and lift up. If the spear doesn't come out put a washer on the bolt before slipping it in the coupler hole.

We pulled 8 spears in about 5 min with no fabrication needed. Sorry to bring up an ancient thread.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
menisale
Recipes 

I need help!!!

I have two kegs, one that has the slots at the top, removed the spiral clip and was able to remove, no problem. I'm using this as my 15 gallon fermenter and quite happy.

The other one has no slots on the top ring. It also had a spiral clip that I removed.

It isn't a screw out spear either. I'm able to get it to move back and forth the normal amount, as if it were to lift through the slots, but no slots. I've reviewed videos and blogs and not found this type. Manufactured by Hoover Group for G Heileman Brewing.

Any ideas2011-07-04_11-29-29_872.jpg
2011-07-04_11-29-08_847.jpg

Old 08-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
ultra_
Recipes 

Hey trouble brewing could you explain a little in depth as i have 20lt converted cornies with the sake fitting and i dont really wanna mess up the valve.
stupid brewing companies dont want me to have their tools
And would it be easy to take the SCRL off so i could just unscrew for cleaning/filling and would it be safe to use while naturally carbing?
Thanks

Old 08-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
Trouble-Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Screw in spear converted cornies? Thats a new one to me. To remove the spear loosen it with a hammer and punch until it spins but the threads arent engaged. Then put a 1/4" or 3/8" nut on to of the ball and then tap the keg with it on there. It might be easier if you remove the big gasket from the tap but its not necessary. Then the spear should just lift out, if it doesnt try a little bit thicker of a "spacer". To get the safety off set the spear standing up on the floor and push a piece of pipe over the tube to push on the retaining ring. It has three tabs and spins off pretty easy with some pressure on it. The spear will come apart and the safety catch will fall right out. Once you figure out how to get the spears out its not too hard. I would keep the safety in unless its a real pain for you. It probably wont unscrew but just in case. If you are careful to keep it tight I dont really see an issue. Good luck, let me know if I need to explain it better

Old 08-31-2011, 02:22 AM   #16
ultra_
Recipes 

thanks mate
I will try tonight brewries are a bit funny about the tool
And yeah they have 10l kegs 20lt and 30lt the 10lt are similar to the standard kegs however the 20lt and 30lt ones are very similar to corny kegs.
They agve me a new spear and it has a safety catch that seems it may be alot easier to get out.
Instead of 2 little prongs it has one bigger one that doesnt have as much pressure on it.
I was thinking that it may be possible to grind/bend the catch a little so it could be taken out on a angle rather then straight out.
I have attached some pics of the kegs.I live in new zealand but think they may be from france.also could someone tell me what 3.5bar working pressure is in psi?

silver-20l-cub-spear-kegs.jpg   10l-beer-keg.jpg   9025mlb-dsw-003.jpg   img_1066.jpg  

Old 08-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #17
kererubrewing
Recipes 

3.5 bar is roughly 50psi.

I am looking to do the spear/valve swap for those 20L kegs too. Perfect size, but a real head-scratcher to get the spears swapped.

Ultra, have a look at this other thread on homebrewtalk: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/how-...l-ring-240453/

Regards,
Chris Mills, Brewer/Director

Kereru Brewing Company
http://kererubrewing.co.nz

Old 09-01-2011, 01:57 AM   #18
ultra_
Recipes 

Cheers Chris
Yea i was going to use the standard 25lt sanke kegs.
A few dents/scrapes etc but my fridge was set up to chill corny's
Where did you get your ones from mate?
They are really well made dont seem as they will be as much trouble as cornies.
However with the valve that is in them it is hard to tell what kind of safety catch is in them.
However if you got a new spear like mine.I think the thing to do would be to grind the catch down a little then remove it on a angle.The catch on the new spear is alot softer to pull in them the current one.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:39 AM   #19
Trouble-Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I work with the ones with one catch, they are easy to work with. 1 bar is 14.7 psi so yeah around 50

Old 09-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #20
kererubrewing
Recipes 

I found some good resources for the new valves and by extension I believe this will apply to the old ones that I need to remove.

http://www.dispensegroup.com/downloads_e.php

Have a look at the instruction PDF for the ET-W-SI valves.

Regards,
Chris Mills, Brewer/Director

Kereru Brewing Company
http://kererubrewing.co.nz

Quick Reply