Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How often to replace kegerator tubes/faucets/taps?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #1
tomjonesrocks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How often to replace kegerator tubes/faucets/taps?

I've had my kegerator now about 3 years--and despite cleaning the lines with beer line cleaner (BLC) I've started to see black bits of who knows what getting into pours.

How frequently should I be totally replacing tubes/faucets/taps? Are there additional cleaning steps I should be taking?

Suggestions appreciated--thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

You don't have to replace the shanks and faucets- just take them apart and clean them well, and put them back. The beer line can last a long, long, time if you clean it well, too. But it's cheap to replace so you can replace it if you want to.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #3
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Taps come apart for cleaning, and shanks etc can also be cleaned. I usually clean everything after 3 kegs have passed through them and I only recently replaced my beer line after being in service for 4 years.
For the cost and peace of mind of replacing beer line, I think I'll do it every year.

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 04-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

IMO three years is way too long to be running the same plastic beer line. Buy yourself some high quality line and replace it every year. Inspect the faucets after you clean them to make sure that nothing is wrong with the metal surfaces. Black bits in your beer should get you going on this project ASAP.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #5
messler
Recipes 

out of curiosity, how different is beer line from the line you use to siphon your beer the rest of the time? Could I just use stuff from the hardware store if its the right size?

Old 11-08-2010, 02:36 AM   #6
dinokath
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by messler View Post
out of curiosity, how different is beer line from the line you use to siphon your beer the rest of the time? Could I just use stuff from the hardware store if its the right size?
No way Jose. The beer line is way thicker of a wall which provides resistance to help reduce foaming up. Sometimes you'll need to use more than the shortest run possible to prevent the foaming up too.

The stuff at the hardware store usually isn't food safe. Read the package closely. The stuff at my local Home Depot clearly reads 'Not for water line use' or something like that and it is very thin walled.

Take a look at how thick the wall of the tubing should be:
Link - I have seen tubing with a thicker wall than this too.

My worst recurring nightmare - a power outtage and my lagering fridge gets warms....

Quick Reply