How much wort for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewme76

Reaction score
I am new to this site and fairly new to homebrewing ( 1 yr), Hi all! I have been reading alot of threads and learning alot of new info. Thanks to everyone. I have always used the priming sugar that often comes with the kits I order. I recently read an article about bottle conditioning and using the original wort instead of sugars for priming. I only rack into bottles, so no kegs yet, and am considering this option. Is there a certain formula or amount of wort I should use to prime a 5 gal batch? Do I just set some aside when i make the wort and put it in the fridge for a couple weeks until priming? If I bottle condition does that mean I prime and then rack into bottles just after primary? Any info will help! Thanks all!:drunk:

Do a Google search on "speisse" (the wort that is added to carbonate the beer). It can be a fairly complex formula (which I definitely don't know off the top of my head) which depends on the volume collected as well as the strength of the beer amongst other things. As far as I recall from Eric Warner's "Authentic German Wheat Beers" it's around 1 to 1.5qts for a 5g batch.

There's two ways to wind up with speisse...brew a batch the day you are bottling another batch and use that fresh wort. Or, save some wort from your batch as you speculate above. I would recommend freezing it during the interim, and I'd be inclined to reboil it before adding it back, maybe for 10-15 minutes (that would be extra cautious).

Back