Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > how much water for priming sugar?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
kevinb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 614
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default how much water for priming sugar?

I am getting ready to bottle a 5 gallon batch of Irish red that is in my secondary. When I transferred from the primary to secondary there was obviously some loss, so now I have more like 4.5 gallons. I was wondering if I could get away with adding some previously boiled water when I add the priming sugar to my bottling bucket. Usually, I would boil a couple cups of water and then dissolve about 5 Oz of priming sugar, cool, add to bottling bucket, and then rack on top. How much extra water can I add when I dissolve the priming sugar? Is there any downside to this?

__________________
kevinb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 2,428
Liked 229 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

The downside is that any extra water will dilute the beer... I'd just add what you need for the priming sugar and take the loss. The recipe was formulated to give you certain specs (SG/ABV/IBU) and diluting it will change that. I'd personally rather have 4.5 gallons of the beer I intended than 5 gallons of something watered down. Next time you can add that 0.5 gallon trub loss into the recipe so this won't be a problem!

__________________
zachattack is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
chris41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 44
Default

I've always just pour the sugar into the beer and never had any problems....maybe I've just been lucky?

__________________
chris41 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
audger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ., Connecticut
Posts: 1,497
Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris41 View Post
I've always just pour the sugar into the beer and never had any problems....maybe I've just been lucky?
youve just been lucky. sugar is not sanitary and you could infect your beer by throwing it directly in. mixing it with boiling water on the stove isnt just to help it disolve but also to sanitize it.

you can use the smallest amount of water that the sugar will fully dissolve into. usually only need 1 or 2 cups for 5oz of sugar.
__________________
audger is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
kevinb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 614
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
youve just been lucky. sugar is not sanitary and you could infect your beer by throwing it directly in. mixing it with boiling water on the stove isnt just to help it disolve but also to sanitize it.

you can use the smallest amount of water that the sugar will fully dissolve into. usually only need 1 or 2 cups for 5oz of sugar.
Will I have any overcarbing problems by using the whole 5 oz of sugar with ~4.5 gallons of beer? I don't have a scale to speperate out the extra 0.5 oz.
__________________
kevinb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
kevinb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 614
Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachattack View Post
The downside is that any extra water will dilute the beer... I'd just add what you need for the priming sugar and take the loss. The recipe was formulated to give you certain specs (SG/ABV/IBU) and diluting it will change that. I'd personally rather have 4.5 gallons of the beer I intended than 5 gallons of something watered down. Next time you can add that 0.5 gallon trub loss into the recipe so this won't be a problem!
So you suggest that I next time I start with about 5.5 gallons for a 5 gallon recipe?
__________________
kevinb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
zachattack
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: , MA
Posts: 2,428
Liked 229 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
So you suggest that I next time I start with about 5.5 gallons for a 5 gallon recipe?
No, I'm suggesting that if you want to end up with exactly 5 gallons of beer at the end, you scale up your recipe to start with 5.5 gallons of beer. Adding an extra half gallon of water at the beginning will (mostly) have the same diluting effect as adding it at the end. If you're using kits you can't easily scale up, but if you're making your own recipe it's pretty standard to factor in trub loss. If you use any brewing software usually there's a spot to input this.
__________________
zachattack is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
1KD1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 174
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb

So you suggest that I next time I start with about 5.5 gallons for a 5 gallon recipe?
If you want 5 gallons of final product, you'll have to start fermentation with a bit more than 5 gallons to cover for the trub loss. If you want the abv to be correct for the recipe you might have to make some adjustments (ie, adding more grain or DME etc etc).
__________________
1KD1 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
stikks
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
stikks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 460
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinb View Post
Will I have any overcarbing problems by using the whole 5 oz of sugar with ~4.5 gallons of beer? I don't have a scale to speperate out the extra 0.5 oz.
You`re co2 volume with 5oz in 4.5 gal. will be about 3.0.Most styles
average 2.5.You may end up a bit overcarbed.I would take out about
a tlbs. or 2 before bottling.Just my thoughts.

Cheers
__________________
stikks is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corn Sugar vs Table Sugar for Priming danculwell Bottling/Kegging 29 09-20-2012 08:00 PM
Table sugar vs. invert sugar priming amounts badmajon Bottling/Kegging 2 10-11-2011 05:43 PM
Table sugar or priming lhbs sugar? stephen424 Bottling/Kegging 1 06-10-2010 10:48 PM
Brown sugar as priming sugar ratio? Ziggybrew Bottling/Kegging 4 03-22-2010 06:31 PM
Quick question- Water to priming sugar ratio for Conditioning A 5 gallon keg? Airlock_Sniffer Bottling/Kegging 1 10-29-2009 12:20 AM