Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How much priming sugar for Stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
wahpedal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How much priming sugar for Stout?

A 5-Gallon batch of Dry Irish Stout is hanging out in my basement - I'll be bottling it next week and my understanding is that Stouts have a lower amount of carbonation than some other beers. So my question is how much of the 5oz of priming sugar should I use?

The following link below seems to say that I should cut it in half and use 2.5 oz of the priming sugar, if I'm reading it properly. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to overcarbonate, and I also don't want to underdo it and have flat beer.

Thanks

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Priming Solutions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2009, 02:16 AM   #2
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 33

TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators | Botting Priming Calculator

shows about the same amount.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:19 AM   #3
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

I'm drinking my slightlyundercarbed stout right now. I thought cutting it down from my usual 3/4 cup to 1/2 a cup corn sugar would fit the stout guidelines better, but I'm not happy with the carbonation level.....still drinkable though. I would stick with 3/4 a cup, or 5 ounces.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:22 AM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I always used that calculator and ended up with undercarbed beer. I finally threw caution to the wind and went higher than that recommends and I finally have nicely carbonated beer that has a head without having to pour it super roughly. It's a good resource and I've recommended it often, but I'm starting to wonder if it's a tad low.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 08-30-2009, 02:26 AM   #5
elkdog
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

5 ounces should be fine. I usually go with 4.5 ounces, to get 2.5 volumes of carbonation at my bottling temp. You want some nice carbonation on that style, so I'd go with the full 5 ounces.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:26 AM   #6
Beezer94
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 33

The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

shows same amount as tasty brew. I used the recommended amount for my "Ode to Arthur (Guiness Clone)" and it seems carbed just fine.

I think its ultimately another personal preference in the end like most of homebrewing.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:29 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Depending on how carbed you like stuff you may want to do what I often do in carbing to styles, for beers that have a mid carbonation range I usually aim for the middle of the style, lets say if says the range is 2-3 volumes I will opt for 2.5..but since I am an american raised on fizzier beers, as are most of the non beer geeks who may drink my beer, if it is a style that has a lower range like Stout 1.7-2.3 volumes I may opt for the highest number of that style, or near to in...so I might choose to aim for 2-2.3 volumes.

But if it is a style with traditionally highest volumes, I usually choose to go to the higher end of that one. Just my 2 cents.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply