Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How much corn sugar for one bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
jacksonbrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default How much corn sugar for one bottle?

I have a brew I intend to keg, but would also like to bottle condition a few to send out for the holidays. I'm familiar with Biermucher's keg-to-bottle method, but have not had great success with it (always get tons of foam regardless of how low psi is, and can't fill all the way). I'm wondering how much corn sugar would be needed per single bottle? I think I read somewhere that 1/8 tsp is a good goal, but wanted to know what HBT'ers though.

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I'd get some carb tabs, either cooper's or the other ones (who's name escapes me) and keep them on hand, that way you don't have to mess with measuring out such a tiny amount of sugar...

And you could store the package in a jar or something and have this on hand whenver you wanna carb up a few bottles...the other brind (I think primetabs) imho give you more control then the larger cooper's variety...you can actually be able to carb to style more easily.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-22-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That's a good idea to keep on hand. But for now I have a bunch of corn sugar on hand, and bottle so infrequently, it seems a shame not to use it.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
That's a good idea to keep on hand. But for now I have a bunch of corn sugar on hand, and bottle so infrequently, it seems a shame not to use it.
Well, be that way (makes sense to me....)

This comes from ray Daniels, so I trust it...(sorry I can't spread it out better)

Quote:
Amount of Priming Sugar Required
Volume of Beer Cups Tablespoons + Teaspoons
5 gallons 0.75 12 + 0
4 gallons 0.60 9 + 2
3 gallons 0.45 7 + 1
2.5 gallons 0.375 6 + 0
2 gallons 0.300 4 + 2.5
1 gallon 0.150 2 + 1.25
½ gallon 0.075 1 + 0.5
22 oz 0.025 0 + 1.25
16 oz 0.0188 0 + 0.90
12 oz 0.0140 0 + 0.67
it came from the bottom of this article though. http://www.allaboutbeer.com/homebrew/bottle2.html

Now if you have a gram scale I would probably find out the gram equivalents and measure by dry weight.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #5
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Ow... makes brain hurt. LOL. I reconsidered the carb tabs and think I'll just pick up a bag. That way I can use those for 1-2 bottles, and the corn sugar for 5 gal batches. Not like it goes bad.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
BigKahuna

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Ow... makes brain hurt. LOL. I reconsidered the carb tabs and think I'll just pick up a bag. That way I can use those for 1-2 bottles, and the corn sugar for 5 gal batches. Not like it goes bad.
That's really the only safe way. When you start messing with that small of an amount of anything...a 1 gram difference is a big % of the total and greatly increases the chances of your getting some splod'en bottles.

Good Choice.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:46 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Good thought...I mean they used to just add sugar to each bottle back in the day...but they used to also complain about homebrew and bottle bombs as well....

I figured there had to be a correlation...

Old 10-23-2008, 02:49 AM   #8
surfbrewer
Recipes 

+1 on the carb drops.

Also, on a side note, you stated that you always get a lot of foam using BierMunchers bottling method. Have you tried chilling the bottles in the freezer prior to filling? I used to get a lot of foam as well until someone suggested this and I haven't had a problem since. Works like a charm.

Primary #1 - Apfelwine #1
Primary #2 -

Conditioning -

On Tap - Abbey Road ESB
Liquid Amber

Next up - Belgian Dark Strong, Apfelwine

Old 10-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Table sugar will work too - one thing I can say for the Mr. Beer batches I did is that they all carbed up nicely. Their recommendations:

12 oz bottle - 3/4 teaspoon
16 oz bottle - 1 teaspoon
22 oz bottle - 1.5 teaspoons

I don't think dry corn sugar would measure out the same but I've used these ratios with table sugar to good success. It's such a small amount that it won't affect the taste of the beer.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 10-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
ChrisS68
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishsum View Post
Table sugar will work too - one thing I can say for the Mr. Beer batches I did is that they all carbed up nicely. Their recommendations:

12 oz bottle - 3/4 teaspoon
16 oz bottle - 1 teaspoon
22 oz bottle - 1.5 teaspoons

I don't think dry corn sugar would measure out the same but I've used these ratios with table sugar to good success. It's such a small amount that it won't affect the taste of the beer.
Yep. I believe that, when you're talking equal volumes, corn sugar typically has marginally fewer fermentables than cane sugar. However, in these quantities I believe the difference is negligible. (BTW, when using table sugar, be sure to use 100% cane).
As an aside, while I always had good results priming with cane sugar, when I used some "corn sugar" I bought at the LHBS, I had poor and inconsistent carbonation, even when I upped it to a full teaspoon per bottle. Also, the beers would tend to have a sweet, under-attenuated flavor. Not sure if there are different grades or what; I figured corn sugar was corn sugar. Maybe theirs was intended as more of an adjunct. When I tried some of their "priming sugar" the results were much better.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisS68; 10-23-2008 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply