Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How many of you bottle & keg the same batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
zacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default How many of you bottle & keg the same batch?

I'm new to kegging this summer, and one of the things I know I'm going to want to do is to bring bottles of my homebrew to parties, events, etc... I was thinking I'd set aside about 12-18 bottles of each batch.

How many of you do that? And how do you do it? Do you fill carbonated bottles from the keg, or do you bottle condition the bottles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
thargrav
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've done it but it has to be a really good beer that I want to save for friends later.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I fill bottles from the keg/tap. I have both the Bowie Bottler and a Blichmann Beer Gun to do this with.

IME, it's far easier to bottle from a carbonated keg than to fill X bottles from the same batch, primed and then set aside to carbonate. I actually did this on Saturday so that I could bring brew to family to have. Thus we were able to have good homebrew with dinner Saturday, and Sunday, evening. I do find that the flip-top/swing-top bottles are better for me to bottle in (I have many). I can quickly cap them once filled, unlike with long necks.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 07-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
RUNningonbrew
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts

When I'm ready to keg my beer I usually bottle about 10, I use the carbonation drops, fill up m bottles, remove the bottle filler and then keg the rest, it's a pain trying to do on your own, but it can be done. I also like to taste the difference in a bottle conditioned beer and a force carbed beer

Old 07-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #5
TheFlyingSparge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 to Golddiggie. I have a Beer Gun and it works fantastic. Your beer is always chilled and ready to go. Bottle conditioning is great as long as you have time to chill the bottles before the party. Personally, I only bottle condition my big beers. Do whatever works best for you.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
hecliff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do the old fashion 1/4 tsp per bottle and set aside 6-12 for Competitions. The first bottle is also full of air from racking so I usually save that to get to the yeast for the next batch.

Hecliff

Old 10-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
DrJekyll-HomeBrew
Recipes 

hey i just wanted to ask a question. i recently bought a 3 gallon keg, i wish to keg and bottle a 5-5&1/2 gallon batch. i still want to bottle condition my bottles with sugar. do you guys add the priming sugar bottle then add the rest to the keg and also let the keg naturally carbonate along with force carbonation to keep it sealed? or do you weigh out each amount of priming sugar for each bottle and keg first then bottle?

Been brewing since 2007 and my knowledge is ever growing.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
BMGfan
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJekyll-HomeBrew
hey i just wanted to ask a question. i recently bought a 3 gallon keg, i wish to keg and bottle a 5-5&1/2 gallon batch. i still want to bottle condition my bottles with sugar. do you guys add the priming sugar bottle then add the rest to the keg and also let the keg naturally carbonate along with force carbonation to keep it sealed? or do you weigh out each amount of priming sugar for each bottle and keg first then bottle?
I do 6 gallon batches. I fill my keg, then bottle the rest. I do carb tabs to keep it simple. Obviously I can't carb to a specific level with the tabs though. I force the rest in the keg to style or whatever I like...

Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I wouldn't prime the entire batch IF I was to bottle some of a batch at that point. Mostly due to not wanting a large cake left in the keg. Besides, it will take longer to carbonate the keg with sugar than it will via force carbonation. Even with the two week method I use. I also store kegs that are not connected in the basement (now) which is in the 58-62F range.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 10-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
DrJekyll-HomeBrew
Recipes 

well i just bottled and i decided to charge the whole five gallons with priming sugar. i worked out the Ounces and got just enough bottles to fill while having enough for my keg. so i primed the five gallons, began bottling, filled the keg. i filled the keg to 10 psi i hope thats enough to seal the keg while allowing the sugars to be eaten by the yeast.

thank you for your input!

Been brewing since 2007 and my knowledge is ever growing.

Quick Reply