Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > how many regulators?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Islandboy85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default how many regulators?

I was calculating the my gas pressure on ibrewmaster and noticed that there is a huge range of different pressures I will need. I'm building my first kegerator and was hoping to have four beers to serve. Does that mean I need four (expensive) regulators or can you cheat by using different length beer hose to lower the pressure for beers needing lower pressure? I hope that made sense. It sounded good in my head anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4636 Times on 3367 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Why do you need four different pressures? I only have one pressure for five kegs. Of course, I like my beers fairly well carbed, but definitely not carbed really high like for soda, and I even carb my British mild probably higher than "style".

I would guess that two regulators would be enough, depending on what you're planning on having on tap at any given time.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Carbonated kegs rely on static pressure from the regulator. Everything is going to be the same pressure until the valve opens to pour beer. Dynamic pressure is what you are referring to and it only works with moving beer. Just set the pressure to the highest beer. You can always unplug the beer once it hits the right carbonation and plug it in from time to time to push beer. I know it is a PITA, but otherwise you need regulators.

I suggest 2 regulators and settle with one pressure or the other.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
centex99
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Depends how much money you want to spend...
I'm setting mine up with a primary regulator with Y output... one line to dual secondary regulators... one of those going to a 3-way splitter... the other just having a single output...
So that gives me 3 at one pressure, and 1 at two other pressures... All shut offs have check valves...Cost me ~170 + tubing

Old 01-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
Dr. Francois
Dry Yeast FTW
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

I agree...two regs is sufficient unless you want a brown porter, APA, and hefe all on tap simultaneously. Even then, you can use one reg as your force carb and one as serving...that's what I'm doing now. I tend to brew low carbonation beers, though.

Dr. François

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."
--Kurt Vonnegut

Old 01-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

My keg fridge hold 3 kegs, and one tap is dedicated to rootbeer for the kids (and me). I also like hefe's and stouts, both of which have there own traditional levels of carbonation. I went with this setup. Main regulator feeds the two secondary regulators and also provides my source of 30psi for my rootbeer. The other two regulators can be set for whatever I've got on tap. Each of the secondary regulators has two ports coming off them. Typically one higher for hefe's and IPA's that I like very carbonated, and the other set lower for stouts.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Ok, I just found this. I didn't see it my first visit to the site. I guess that's not too bad of a price.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...egulator.shtml

Old 01-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I have a dual body regulator on the tank outside my brew fridge. I have four kegs inside the fridge, being fed CO2 via two manifolds. This allows me to feed up to three from one body and up to two from the other (making it possible to carbonate pretty much any style I'll brew). I use one pressure set for all my ales, with another for any porters (or stouts) I have on tap. I can also use the second body to hit a keg with higher pressure if needed, such as to carbonate faster (IF I really need/want to).

I really like having the CO2 tank outside the brew fridge. For one thing, it's easier to see the gauges and adjust as needed. For another, it's easy to change CO2 tanks as needed. Plus, I don't lose all that space inside the brew fridge. Not to mention I'd be more limited with what size CO2 tank I could use in the brew fridge. With it outside, I have no issue using the 20# tank. I could even go to a much larger CO2 tank if I ever wanted to.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Islandboy85
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
I have a dual body regulator on the tank outside my brew fridge. I have four kegs inside the fridge, being fed CO2 via two manifolds. This allows me to feed up to three from one body and up to two from the other (making it possible to carbonate pretty much any style I'll brew). I use one pressure set for all my ales, with another for any porters (or stouts) I have on tap. I can also use the second body to hit a keg with higher pressure if needed, such as to carbonate faster (IF I really need/want to).

I really like having the CO2 tank outside the brew fridge. For one thing, it's easier to see the gauges and adjust as needed. For another, it's easy to change CO2 tanks as needed. Plus, I don't lose all that space inside the brew fridge. Not to mention I'd be more limited with what size CO2 tank I could use in the brew fridge. With it outside, I have no issue using the 20# tank. I could even go to a much larger CO2 tank if I ever wanted to.
20# tank!?!? Wow, that wold take up space. I've just got an old steel 5# tank. I figure it's good enough for now.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 478 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I got a good deal on the 20# tank... Costs all of $17 to get it filled too.

I started with a 5# tank (aluminum), then added two 2.5# tanks and finally a 10# tank too. I also have some paintball CO2 bottles, for when I need to be ultra-portable.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply