The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How long will my keg carbonation last

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #21
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagamoreAle
I recently opened two cornies that had sat around for 8 years. Still carbonated.
You waited 8 years !!!!! BLASPHEMY !!!!
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #22
jb3218
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I've been checking out you tube postings on kegging and beer guns. I really like the idea of using a beer gun to fill some bottles or a growler to take to a friend or family member. Also there seems to be many ways to carbonate the keg. It seems that the best way is to let it sit for a week at 20-30 psi. Is it necessary to let it sit this long to carbonate without rolling it on the floor?

Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #23
mjap52
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb3218 View Post
I've been checking out you tube postings on kegging and beer guns. I really like the idea of using a beer gun to fill some bottles or a growler to take to a friend or family member. Also there seems to be many ways to carbonate the keg. It seems that the best way is to let it sit for a week at 20-30 psi. Is it necessary to let it sit this long to carbonate without rolling it on the floor?
That's not the "best" way, you'd probably overcarb your beer like that. When I need to carb my beer in a rush, I hook it up to double the recommended pressure for 48 hours (after the beer is at a normalized temperature) and then reduce the pressure to my preferred serving temperature.

http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

There is a carbonation chart that takes into account temperature and pressure. The "best" or most accurate way would be to hook it up to the preferred pressure for 3 weeks. At that point, you'll have your beer dialed into the exact carbonation level you want.

Eggertsville Brewhouse: Stealing the livers of suburbanites, one pint at a time!

Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #24
kingofmalkier
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I just kegged for the first time (also first brew) and think that my experiences may be informative.

My setup:
* two 2.5G cornelius-style kegs
* one faucet
* one CO2 line

I will be doing half batches so I want to be able to smoothly switch from keg to keg to keg, so I thought force carbing would be best - and still do. I also thought that to do this as quickly as possible I would follow the instruction from Charlie's book. This meant turning up to 25 PSI and shaking. I would *really not recommend this.* It's quite likely I misread something, but I discovered it is really easy to overcarbonate 2.5G (or maybe just convince yourself you have) by shaking it. In an attempt to reduce pressure I used my manual blowoff valve and sprayed beer foam all over the place!

After a bit more reading I decided that shaking is okay, but I at least will be only keeping serving pressure while shaking. It's actually pretty neat to do. You shake the keg up pretty good and then pause and you can hear the regulator dump a bunch of CO2 to replace what got absorbed out of the head space. Then you shake again and pause again, etc. Without the increased pressure this can mean a lot of shaking. (I thought I was done and ended up drinking a pint of tasty enough but extremely flat beer.)

The most foolproof way is what has already been mentioned - just hooking up at serving pressure and waiting - but if you want to speed things up a bit I recommend you don't get too greedy like me. It can cause more of a headache than any Belgian Quad.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:01 PM   #25
BeerBrent
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
You waited 8 years !!!!! BLASPHEMY !!!!
yeah right! who has that many kegs that they don't need them for 8 years?? that would be nice :P

Old 01-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #26
MaxOut
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I store kegs refrigerated once carbonated and would think CO2 would come out of solution if stored at higher temps. So far none have lasted long enough to find out...

Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #27
kingofmalkier
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxOut View Post
I store kegs refrigerated once carbonated and would think CO2 would come out of solution if stored at higher temps. So far none have lasted long enough to find out...
You are correct, some will come out. Thankfully this will increase head space pressure, which will help hold the rest in solution. When you drop the temp again the extra CO2 will get pushed back in. And if course there's always your "drink it real fast" technique. :-D

Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #28
BigRedHopHead
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I was lucky enough to get some kegs from a neighbor who owns a local restaurant. The kegs had been hidden away in some covered corner of the restaurant before I got to them. Most we half full or 2/3 full, and all still maintained their pressure. When I pulled the relief valve I was pleased to know that after years of neglect these kegs still held true without leaks.

Needless to say I did some serious cleaning of them and replaced all the o-rings. But yes, I can vouch the pressure will last forever!

Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #29
jb3218
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have a question on bottling from the keg. I will be kegging my witbier and irish stout in a couple of days and plan on bottling some of it to give to friends. The question I have is since it will be cold when bottled, can it sit at room temp. for an indefinite time until re-chilled or will this alter or "skunk" the beer?

Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #30
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb3218 View Post
I have a question on bottling from the keg. I will be kegging my witbier and irish stout in a couple of days and plan on bottling some of it to give to friends. The question I have is since it will be cold when bottled, can it sit at room temp. for an indefinite time until re-chilled or will this alter or "skunk" the beer?
UV light skunks beer, so if the beer isn't UV light struck (such as in direct sunlight or in clear bottles) it won't skunk. Bottles can sit at room temp for quite a while without issues, but do just a little better at cellar temps or colder. I've had bottled homebrew in my basement for a couple of years that was fine, for example.

Quick Reply