Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How long will a Corny stay "fresh"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Cakehole
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long will a Corny stay "fresh"?

Long-time lurker, first post.

I am currently deployed with the AF in a hot sandy location so the best I can do is read the forums.

I have decided to jump back in to brewing with both feet. I plan to get a 3 carboy system ( I want to be able to have 2 batches in secondaries within 7-10 days of each other ) and also plan to skip the whole bottling thing and go straight to kegs.

I plan on having 4 Cornies in a rotation to start off with, and depending on what I can find for fridge/freezer, adding a few more kegs to allow for longer maturation times before I tap and drink. I also have a young son that likes Root Beer, so I will probably need to add a RB tap and keg for him to whatever I use for the beer.

I enjoy a good beer, but the main thing that worries me is my HB will go stale in the keg after I tap into it as there will only be me consuming the goodness. ( no SWMBO for now )

I figure I probably drink about 2 or 3 pints of beer a day on the average, some days more, and some days a lot less.

Do you folks think I will have issues with stale, nasty beer because I don't drink it all that fast?

On another note, I really appreciate all of you folks out there that take the time to help everybody else out. From what I have read here, this is a very supportive community. I should return to Albuquerque mid-summer and will begin brewing shortly thereafter. I hope to learn until then and hit the ground brewing when I get home.

Dennis

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2008, 07:52 PM   #2
discgolfin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcahill110

I am currently deployed with the AF in a hot sandy location so the best I can do is read the forums.

I have decided to jump back in to brewing with both feet. I plan to get a 3 carboy system ( I want to be able to have 2 batches in secondaries within 7-10 days of each other ) and also plan to skip the whole bottling thing and go straight to kegs.

I plan on having 4 Cornies in a rotation to start off with, and depending on what I can find for fridge/freezer, adding a few more kegs to allow for longer maturation times before I tap and drink. I also have a young son that likes Root Beer, so I will probably need to add a RB tap and keg for him to whatever I use for the beer.

I enjoy a good beer, but the main thing that worries me is my HB will go stale in the keg after I tap into it as there will only be me consuming the goodness. ( no SWMBO for now )

I figure I probably drink about 2 or 3 pints of beer a day on the average, some days more, and some days a lot less.

Do you folks think I will have issues with stale, nasty beer because I don't drink it all that fast?

On another note, I really appreciate all of you folks out there that take the time to help everybody else out. From what I have read here, this is a very supportive community. I should return to Albuquerque mid-summer and will begin brewing shortly thereafter. I hope to learn until then and hit the ground brewing when I get home.

Dennis
I think from my experience you are very close if not the same as what is in the bottle. The only major effect I notice over long periods of time is loss in hop aroma. I have a 4 tap system and I only have maybe 1 beer at most on week nights and several on weekends with friends. My kegs do not go very fast for this reason. I usually find they need several weeks to mature as it is and still get better for the first 2 to 3 months. Unless u think it will be 6 to 12 months before u finish I forsee only better beer as it gets older. U can always dry hop in keg to keep the aroma longer..I do this and love it. I have several beers made over 6 months ago that still taste very fresh and better than what I buy.

J

Primary: DFH 60 IPA
Secondaty: Blond Ale, Apfelwine, Crandaddy mead
Bottle: Blue moon clone,Kolsch, Eds House Ale, Barley wine, Stone IPA, Oatmeal stout, Hefe,

Drinking: 60 minute IPA, Honkers Ale, Wheat, cherry wheat, Appfelwine,

On Deck: Imperial Stout,

Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Beer kept cold and on gas will stay fresh for months.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #4
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
BTW, welcome aboard, Dennis!

Old 04-08-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
Bad Shark Brew
Recipes 

I'm in the same boat...lots of beer, few people to drink it. My kegs average 2-3 months before they get tapped out. Usually it's just me and one or two neighbors enjoy the tasty beverages I make, so they tend to last a while. One advantage is the way the beer mellows as it ages (I have paitience issues and usually keg sooner that I should!!).

Kegged: Stout, Blonde Ale
Bottled: Dust
Upcoming: APA, Summer Ale

Old 04-08-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've got a brown that went weird (sour) after 17 months. Currently on tap, I have a 12 month old 3CPA, a six month old porter and a blond about the same age.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-08-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
Bad Shark Brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I've got a brown that went weird (sour) after 17 months. Currently on tap, I have a 12 month old 3CPA, a six month old porter and a blond about the same age.
I wish my Blonde would last that long!! Whenever I have the Blonde on tap, if I leave the garage open and unattended, it's easy to find my neighbor - in front of the kegerator!!!!!
Kegged: Stout, Blonde Ale
Bottled: Dust
Upcoming: APA, Summer Ale

Old 04-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #8
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I believe that beer going stale will be the least of your worries.

Running out on the otherhand.......

+1 what Ed and everyone else has said, if kept cold and under pressure by CO2/Beergas it will be good for a long time. You may even find it becomes MUCH better with a little age I believe what you are thinking of as "stale" beer is beer pushed with those hand pump taps at keggers. Those push O2 into the keg, oxidizing and ruining the beer. Keep O2 away from your beer and you shouldn't have any problems.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 04-09-2008, 12:06 AM   #9
Cakehole
Recipes 

OK, good to know that "stale" beer will not be a problem.

I am quickly beginning to realize that I just might need a bigger house. I see ideas here for stuff I want. 7 tap keezer for one!!

Too bad I have a few more months in the sand before I can even begin brewing...

Old 04-09-2008, 12:09 AM   #10
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Too bad I have a few more months in the sand before I can even begin brewing...

Plenty of time to design yourself a nice little AG setup, kegerator, fermentation chiller, lagerator, CFC, ad infinitum.....

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Quick Reply