Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > how long does it take others to bottle a 5 gallon batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2014, 03:50 AM   #1
timcook
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how long does it take others to bottle a 5 gallon batch?

tonight I bottled my 4th batch (started brewing in January.). how long does it take others?
I bottle by myself. from boiling the priming sugar to capping the last bottle it took 2 hours. that time included drinking 3 pints as well.

I don't drink enough to keg (or invest in kegging equipment.) are there long time home brewers who still bottle? its a pain, but I'm happy once I finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2014, 04:18 AM   #2
ChelisHubby
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I Started with a Keg but after a Infection and a Bad fridge I just bottle, It takes longer but I don't think I will lose a whole batch. The keg tasted Great and was too darn convenient. I will Keg again but it will be a while. It takes me probably 4 hours but I am unorganized.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #3
DSorenson
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 540

I still bottle, and it usually takes me three hours if I work with clean bottles. That includes clean up.

Ever have trouble getting a "big beer" to carbonate in the bottle? Read the "rules" and please add your story to the list!

Old 08-03-2014, 04:23 AM   #4
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 55

3 pints in two hours? That's keg level drinking!

Seriously, one hour. I'm organized.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

People Like This 
Old 08-03-2014, 04:28 AM   #5
Black Island Brewer
An Ode to Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 132

If I'm timing myself and trying to be efficient, I can bottle 5 gallons in 90 minutes including cleaning if my bottles are already clean and just need to be sanitized. When I use my bottles, I rinse or clean as needed as I go, so that I don't have to mess with it on bottling day. I put them upside down in the case so I know they are clean and to keep dust out.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:28 AM   #6
MikePote
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Im about two hours from the time I bring the fermenter into the kitchen until the time Im done with clean up and sitting on the couch. That includes sanitizing bottles but does not include designing, printing, or applying labels. I hate bottling BTW.

If Im on homebrewtalk im probably drunk... Don't pretend your not.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:51 AM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 609 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 164

I would say a couple of hours is normal. I keg now but the next brew is going into bottles. It is a coffee porter and my kegs are full. I also have a red IPA that will be kegged when one becomes available.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:51 AM   #8
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 1

2 hours from start to finish (usually). Including clean up.
The part I like the least is labeling. I create 1 1/2" X 2" labels in excel, twenty-one to a sheet and cut them to individual labels (mostly at work). So that time doesn't count. Then, I use two small pieces of scotch tape to hold them in place on the bottles. Thirty five bottles = 72 pieces of tape (one label goes in my log book). I usually have a beer or two to help the mindless time pass more quickly. Add an extra hour or so to the bottling time. Labeling doesn't usually happen for least another three weeks though.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:53 AM   #9
number40fan
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Only timed that I bottled was last weekend and that was an Oktoberfest. The nice wife helped me out. Bottles were pre-cleaned. I dipped them in Star-san and sat them on my bottle washer while she filled them. Then I would grab the full one and cap it. Took us about 40 minutes total from fermenter to bottle bucket to a big thank you for the help.

Old 08-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #10
pumpkinman2012
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 261

I purchased the All In One Wine Pump, a vacuum pump originally to rack, degass, filter and bottle wine, it made all of those tasks so easy and fast, that I purchased the beer bottle attachment, I can bottle and cap a 5 gallon batch in under 15 mins, not to mention that I no longer have to lift heavy carboys to rack them, and I can filter if I need to.
Check it out at www.allinonewinepump.com

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder ~

Quick Reply