how long to card an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfish713

Reaction score
I bottled my first IPA 2 weeks ago and it is still not carbonated not even a little. how long should it take? :confused:

Bigfish713 said:
I bottled my first IPA 2 weeks ago and it is still not carbonated not even a little. how long should it take? :confused:

It should be mostly carbed by now. How big of a beer was it? what did you prime it with? Could the yeast have possibly all settled out (did you lager the beer)?

what temp did you store the bottles at after bottling?
Can you see sediment on the bottom of the bottle?

did you forget to add the sugar? (it happens to the best)
Its not carbed at all, that is to say when you open the beer you dont hear any 'psst' or co2 escaping sounds? Or it just doesnt have a big head?

did you use standard non-twist off caps and a good capper?
how many have you tried, maybe just the one you opened was a dud...

Bigfish713 said:
keep waiting.
assuming you remembered to add the sugar (and added enough) and you sealed the bottles properly, it'll carbonate...
patience, grasshopper. patience.

it is being stored at 70 - 74
i used corn sugar to prime 3/4 cup to 1 cup water
bottled in grolsh bottles not a lot of sediment in them and only tried the one
i will put another one in the frig and try again after work on friday

I had the same thing happen recently to a porter. Two weeks and nothing at all. Just a small psst when I opened the grolsch bottle, but the beer was completely flat. I read somewhere to very gently shake the yeast back into suspension in each bottle a couple of times over the next week.

I did that and waited until the fourth week to try another one, and voila! They have all been perfectly carbed so far. It is amazing how much difference two weeks made. I'm not really sure if it was just waiting two more weeks, gently shaking the bottles to re suspend the yeast, or a combination of both that did it, but it worked out in the end.

John

Back