Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How long can i keep a keg on tap?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
BrewMasta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default How long can i keep a keg on tap?

Hello fellow brewers,

I recently started kegging my home brew, I have a wheat beer on tap, with a nu t brown ale going to keg soon. I realize that I can store the nut brown in keg at room temps for up to 3, maybe 4 months prior to force carbonating, and putting on tap. My question is how long can I keep a keg on tap once it's being served? The reason for asking is that I'm brewing faster than I can drink it, should drink it or want to drink it. I would like to have at least two selections on tap, but that would have to then be served over the course of two months, is that too long? Should I clean the liquid lines every couple weeks to keep the line as sanitary as possible? Any advice will be greatly appreciated

" life is like a case of beer, you must enjoy it every day"

- ToastedBlonde Ale in Bottles
- Zesty Pale Ale in primary #1
- Belma 60 IPA in primary #2
- Belgian Wheat IPA in primary #3
- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

* Member of the Maniacal Association of Shoreline Home-brewers, CT

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 38

You can keep them on as long as you want, and as long as they are still tasting good. It really doesn't matter. A nice clean pilsner will only last a couple months before it starts to go downhill, but many other beers are fine for years. You are only limited by how good you are at preventing staling factors.

I clean my lines every couple of weeks on my keezer.

Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Til you kick it. A keg is really an ideal environment to extend the life of a beer. It's air and light tight, which means no risk of skuning or oxidation, and if sanitization is good infection as well and it's at a temp that will help prevent degradation of the beer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Gear101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 187

All depends on the profile of the beer, pilsner(see above), wheat, APA or IPA not long before the beer starts to loose favor, but it is not the keg it is the beer. I have a Goose Island Matilda cone that could set in a keg for 5 years and get better every year.

Islamorada Pale Ale by Island Time Brewery

Stainless is Painless

Old 02-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
BrewMasta
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking it should last a long time in the keg, but i was unsure. I was also remembering way back to my high school, and college years how once a keg was tapped in a barrel of ice it only went down hill from there, but i guess thats from not having co2 to keep it fizzy. i have also been served many a poorly carbonated draft beer at various bars and eateries, shame on them for serving me that pooh. I never want to serve my home brew like that. Thanks again, this thread has helped to allay my fear of tapping multiple kegs at once.

- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

Old 02-01-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMasta View Post
Thanks for the replies, I was thinking it should last a long time in the keg, but i was unsure. I was also remembering way back to my high school, and college years how once a keg was tapped in a barrel of ice it only went down hill from there, but i guess thats from not having co2 to keep it fizzy. i have also been served many a poorly carbonated draft beer at various bars and eateries, shame on them for serving me that pooh. I never want to serve my home brew like that. Thanks again, this thread has helped to allay my fear of tapping multiple kegs at once.
It's not really from not having CO2 so much as it is from having O2. Hand-pumped college beers get air introduced and the oxygen oxidizes it into garbage pretty quickly.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard
Revvy Likes This 
Old 02-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3212 Times on 3115 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMasta View Post
It's not so much the CO2 keeping it fizzy, although that's part of it, it's the party tap that's the problem. It pushes ambient air into the keg, which will oxidize the beer and cause it to taste like wet cardboard in less than a day.

I've had way too many nasty beers tainted by dirty lines at bars. Commercial systems require a lot more cleaning and maintenance than home systems. A lot of that is due to poor sanitation when it comes to pouring beers and tapping kegs, and also the volume of beer being poured. If your sanitation is good, and you don't let the faucet touch the beer when pouring, etc, you should be able to go many months without cleaning the lines with no ill effects.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 02-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
BrewMasta
Recipes 

Cool, I'm learning something new every day here on this forum, thanks for the input everyone. I'm almost OCD like with my sanitation processes. I don't ever, emphasis on "ever" want to lose a batch of my beer to lack of sanitation. So I will likely sanitize my lines from time to time.

- White IPA on deck
- ESB on deck

Quick Reply