How long after kegging before I can drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndhowlett

Reaction score
Read everything from 1 day to 3 days. What's the normal psi and time?

Thanks for the help.

Depends on what method. If you set it to 30 psi and repeatedly shake it to encourage CO2 absorbtion, you can drink it the same day. If you set it to serving pressure and just leave it, you'll have to wait a week.

Me, I set it to 12 psi and let it sit for about a week. I say about, because I usually start into it within three days but it's not really carbed for about a week.

Here's the caveat. If you set to 30 psi and shake, some say that there is a taste imparted by the CO2 that is unpleasant. It's said that you really should wait so that the gas has time to react and mellow in the brew. I've never noticed it myself but I rarely force that way. Also, the level of carbonation is relative to the style of beer you're brewing. I'm putting together a multi-regulator system so that I don't carb everything at the same pressure.

Hell, I poured within a few hours. Shake @ 30psi for 30sec or so and test and pour.

Forced carbonation does not speed up the conditioning process.
It will take just as long to condition in a keg as it does in a bottle.

david_42 said:
Forced carbonation does not speed up the conditioning process.
It will take just as long to condition in a keg as it does in a bottle.

exactly what he said. you can drink it, but its not at its peak performance.

I set mine to 10-12psi for 10 days before I start to drink.

Back