Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How to hack a commercial beer keg

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
dentdr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default How to hack a commercial beer keg

Ok folks I’ve been working on something for a few days and now it’s time to share it with you all. I have wanted to start kegging my beer and have found a way to hack a commercial beer keg. This will save you big money. Here’s what I did, I took the empty keg from my kegerator and with a dish towel and a flat head screwdriver over the steel compression ball and gently released the remaining C02. Now that it’s empty take a smaller flat head screwdriver and remove the flat spring/compression snap ring, it’s very easy. Now with a bigger flat head screwdriver and a hammer, gently tape on the locking tabs you’re your keg head fits. Now simply remove the components and sanitize, fill with your beer and reverse the process to reinstall everything, replacing the steel ring can be a little trickyer than getting it out but with a little patients you’ll get it. Now to carbonate the beer, simply set your kegerator Co2 tank regulator to 35-40 psi when it stops filling bleed the tank to remove the Oxygen and wait 36-48 hours lower Co2 back to your working psi about 8-10 and enjoy your beer. Below is a video I found on how to hack a beer keg the quality is not great but, it works as a great visual of what I just described. I saved myself about $225 in new kegging equipment doing this and it works great!!!

http://youtu.be/EMHS-Uz9bEM

Octane IPA kit from Midwest Homebrewing 9.8% ABV
Cooper Pilsner
Keg: Opa-Opa Strong

Last Brew: Australian Lager / And an all grain

Fermenting Now: German Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

People have been doing that for years. The thing to remember though is that sankey kegs are not able to handle the high pressures that a corny keg can handle. I would not recommend carbing much over 30 psi. They have been known to blow up around 60 psi.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3202 Times on 3106 Posts
Likes Given: 18

It only saves you money if you already have sankey keg couplers and sanke kegs. And it sounds to me like you only saved yourself the cost of one corny keg and a set of QD's (~$50). To buy sankey equipment is actually much more expensive than cornies, which is why most people use cornies. Sankeys are a much better system IMO though.

And FWIW, the safer and less messy way to release the pressure from the keg is using the keg coupler.

Next time try pressing the spiral ring back in place with pliers, it's super easy that way. And it's also a good idea to pay attention to the ring orientation when installing it, so that the notch is at the right spot to make removing it easier next time.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 07-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
youdontknowwhatyouretalki
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg View Post
People have been doing that for years. The thing to remember though is that sankey kegs are not able to handle the high pressures that a corny keg can handle. I would not recommend carbing much over 30 psi. They have been known to blow up around 60 psi.
Thats not true at all... we keep our sankey half barrels between 35-45psi and it is perfectly safe (turbotaps).

Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Hi

If you are going to do this on a regular basis - get yourself a proper set of o-ring pliers.

Bob

Old 07-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3202 Times on 3106 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle_bob View Post
Hi

If you are going to do this on a regular basis - get yourself a proper set of o-ring pliers.

Bob
I think you mean snap ring pliers, and they are useless unless you also replace the spiral retaining rings with snap rings. I wouldn't suggest a switch to snap rings either. Been there, done that, now I'm back to using the spiral rings.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 07-16-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
carlisle_bob
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
I think you mean snap ring pliers, and they are useless unless you also replace the spiral retaining rings with snap rings. I wouldn't suggest a switch to snap rings either. Been there, done that, now I'm back to using the spiral rings.
Hi

Yup, snap rign pliers.

Bob

Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 182

How do you get the O2 out? The dip tube drops to the bottom of the keg, How do you purge?

Old 07-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by youdontknowwhatyouretalki View Post
Thats not true at all... we keep our sankey half barrels between 35-45psi and it is perfectly safe (turbotaps).
Agreed, the pressure limit (stamped on a Sankey) is 60 psi, and they've stated that this is a factor of 10 better than actual burst pressures (measured > 600 psi)

Old 07-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

There is NO Way you can put 600 psi in a sankey. They will burst around 300 psi. All the data is done on a NEW keg. If they have dents and are damaged in anyway, they may burst before 300 psi.

Quick Reply