New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How to get big bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2008, 09:23 PM   #21
slimer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I like 20 oz. bottles of BrouCzech and Rebel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2008, 11:19 PM   #22
Jidas
Recipes 

10 64oz Growlers with the flip top.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:35 PM   #23
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloSabresBrewer View Post
Get a bench capper and you can recap any bottle easily. I have recapped many a twist off bottle with a wing capper. Just give then a shake to see if they seal.
Don't you have to worry about the twist off bottles exploding if you bottle condition?

Old 10-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #24
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer View Post
Don't you have to worry about the twist off bottles exploding if you bottle condition?
My short answer is "no".

My longer answer is "no, but I don't treat any of my bottles (twistoff or otherwise) roughly, I weigh my sugar and prime to style, and do not have any problems with uneven carbonation to start with. I do not think that twistoffs are especially susceptible to bombing."

Old 10-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #25
talleymonster

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachatola View Post
Another option is Muritic (sp) acid. I bought some at the local Hardware store, mixed 1/3-2/3 acid/water and soaked some corrona bottles for my apfelwein..... 15 min to completely remove the paint. Just scrub with a scotch brite spunge and it will wipe right off. Works good on rogue bottles too, usually a hair longer to get the paint all the way off 20 min or so.

I fill my bottles to the top with clean water before setting in the bucket, gives them weight, as well as trying to keep any unwanted stuff out of the inside of the bottle. Then just fill up till it covers the painted part and wait 15-20 min and wipe off the paint.

I may have to try that. Some of the painted bottles I could not get the paint off with the Star San, like the Rogue Bottles and The Double Bastard bottles. All of the other Stone bottles came clean...weird.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #26
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Well if your 'friends' are supplying the bottles.... See if they can stomach the 22oz Bud Ale bottles. I tried one a couple of weeks ago just to give it fair review and to my surprise it had a non-twist lid....

Old 10-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #27
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2982 Times on 2936 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Is there a reason that you would cork a bottle instead of capping it? I have some 750ml belgian bottles that I was thinking about getting a corker for but if I dont need to spend that money then I wont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 10-23-2008, 05:00 PM   #28
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
Carta Blanca, tecate, etc, come in recappable quarts. .
+200

They work great!

Cheers,

EdWort

Haus Pale Ale, Bavarian Hefeweizen, Robust Porter, Oktoberfest Ale, Wounded Knee IPA, Rye IPA, BCB IPA, Kolsch, Apfelwein

Old 10-23-2008, 07:59 PM   #29
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
Is there a reason that you would cork a bottle instead of capping it? I have some 750ml belgian bottles that I was thinking about getting a corker for but if I dont need to spend that money then I wont.
Some of the Belgian 750ml bottles are not capable while others are. The ones that come in champagne bottles can be capped with a larger sized cap and bell for the capper. The others that have a more rounded lip only take corks.

American sparkling wine and sparkling juice bottles use a standard cap but wing cappers have a problem with the thicker neck.

Recently watching a show on Champagne I found out why Champagne bottles take caps. It turns out Champagne makers cap the bottles initially then age them with the caps allowing them to bottle carbonate. They store them neck down so the yeast settles into the neck. Once they finish conditioning they freeze the necks to create a solid plug from the yeast. Then pop the top and all the pressure to force the plug from the bottle. Then they cork the bottles and label for sale.

Craig

Old 11-27-2008, 06:03 AM   #30
Brichards700
Recipes 

I know a lot of champagne bottles can be capped as long as you buy the 29mm replacement housing for you wing capper which is only a couple of bucks. Then you could have 1.5L bottles of your brew.

Quick Reply