Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > how does bottle carbonating work?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2010, 08:17 PM   #1
Enpitsu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how does bottle carbonating work?

so i've always wondered....how does carbonating in a bottle with priming sugar work? here's my confusion:

during fermentation, isn't all the yeast and its by products settled to the bottom? so, when i move it over to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar, no yeast comes over to produce some CO2 from the sugar?

i guess the follow up is - if i let ferment for an extended period of time, say 1.5 months, do i risk not having enough yeast leftover to properly carbonate?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When you transfer, there is plenty of yeast in suspension to carbonate your beer. Even if you cold crash it, not all the yeast drops. This is evident when you open a bottle carbonated beer and there is yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6201 Times on 5392 Posts
Likes Given: 772

There is still enough live, active yeast in suspension to eat the priming sugar.

To further ensure that, a lot of us will stick the wand down into the compacted yeast cake for a second or two just to get some into the bottling bucket (this is likely not needed, but a lot of us still do it).

Old 08-17-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The yeast cake at the bottom of your fermenter is the flocculated yeast. Meaning the yeast that has clumped together and then became heavy enough to sink. Much of the yeast is still in the beer, suspended and too small to see without a microscope. There are people here who bulk age beer for months in a carboy before bottling and have no issues with carbonating. Don't sweat it.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
natehilde

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

In terms of home brew, there will always be enough yeast left in suspension to provide for natural carbonation.

Yeast are extremely small micro organisms. 2-5 micron in sized depending on the reproduction phase. When clarifying beer (most home brew), gravity is the motive force. As the size of a suspended particle diminishes, the drag coefficient on that particle gets closer to the force causing the settling action. This results in an exponential increase in the time required for complete removal of all suspended solids.

There is a plethora of excellent information out there on home brewing. Don't hesitate to ask questions here, but the more research you do on your own, the more well-rounded your brewing education will become.

"A Chief Petty Officer does not drink. But if he drinks, he will not get drunk. And if he gets drunk he will not stumble. And if he stumbles he will not fall. But if he falls, he will fall with his service stripes down, so that passers by think him to be a Junior Officer."

Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enpitsu View Post
so i've always wondered....how does carbonating in a bottle with priming sugar work? here's my confusion:

during fermentation, isn't all the yeast and its by products settled to the bottom? so, when i move it over to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar, no yeast comes over to produce some CO2 from the sugar?

i guess the follow up is - if i let ferment for an extended period of time, say 1.5 months, do i risk not having enough yeast leftover to properly carbonate?
To add to what others have said, 1.5 months isn't really an extended fermentation. It's not until you get into longer fermentations (many months) that you normally start worrying about having enough viable yeast to bottle condition, though with big beers it can be a slow process.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 08-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I explain it in depth in my bottling thread blog http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/bott...2/#post1030387

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply