How do you carbonate your beer to travel in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheesecake

Reaction score
Hello everyone i have a kegging question. Im a little confused about kegging beer and traveling with it.

here is my setup
5.3 cf freezer holds 2 kegs and c02
dual body regulator
4 kegs

Im going to a event in august and people have requested i bring home brew. well i have the serving issue figured out but ill be driving for 6 hours to get there. what would be the best way to carbonate my beer and bring it there.

i was thinking carb with priming sugar then transfer to a new keg before leaving so there is no sediment. the problem is my freezer only holds 2 kegs and the kegs wont stay cold in the car for that long...any ideas

Thanks for listening to me ramble.....:tank:

Were it me, I would force carb and allow the kegs to settle at least an hour or two before tapping. The sediment from priming is going to likely not settle out fast enough to avoid cloudy beer and yeast bite.

And I assume you are taking a co2 source along to push the beer and not rely on the carbonation to dispense with.

yes i am pushing out with co2

the drive is about 5 hours. im supposed to be bringing 4 kegs so chilling in my freezer is pretty much out

Before I built my kegerator, I was carbing/serving at room temp. If you force carb the kegs in the fridge, then you can serve with a jockey box. With my jockey box, I was able to serve room temp kegs at about 42 degrees F. Since you don't have room for all of them, you can force carb in the fridge then pull it out when the carbing is done.

Ok sweet that is what i was looking for. ill force carb in the fridge then pull them out. they whould be on ice for about 6-8 hours before drinking

Ok sweet that is what i was looking for. ill force carb in the fridge then pull them out. they whould be on ice for about 6-8 hours before drinking

Oh hell, you're fine in that case. As long as you chill before serving, a keg is no different than a big bottle of beer.

Back