Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How do I force prime w/o a keg or corny?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
laiced
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How do I force prime w/o a keg or corny?

So I have NO kegging, corny, keezer equipment whatsoever at this stage of my brewing endeavor - I am a bottle only operation.

That being said, the 4th is quickly coming and I have a batch of beer that is ready to be bottled, but that will mean none of my beer is carbed in time for the holiday bbq.

Do I have any options for carbing a beer, perhaps with CO2 cartridges or the likes? I know that a setup to carb a whole 5G batch will run me several hundreds of dollars and I am just not there yet. I can afford the corny and lines and tanks and such, but I want to build my keezer first before anything else.

I am really only looking to carb a gallon or so of this batch - isn't there some sort of 2L bottle method that could work for a day?

Planning - Dark-fruit Rye Wine, Cherry Brown Ale, Session Citrus IPA, SweetStone Pale Ale [MagicHat #9 clone]
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottled - Experimental Gruit, SweetStone Pale Ale [Magic Hat #9 clone], Touch of Strange Graff (Brandon O's)
Deceased - Halzelnut Honey Brown, Orange Honey Heffe, Caramel Cream Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

If the cost of a keezer is stopping you, don't let it. You can use a bucket with ice water as a keg cooler. You serve off the bottom anyways. Sure, it's a pain to replace ice all the time, but it's doable and cheap.

I don't see any way to quickly carb that beer without a keg of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 186

You're not going to want to hear this, but even if you had a full kegging setup in place it wouldn't be fully carbed and ready to drink in 2 days.

I'd just enjoy some craft beers on the 4th and save that homebrew batch until it is ready to drink.

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #4
Raenon
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 3

To have enough CO2 pressure to do a force carb, especially a fast force carb, you'll need a CO2 tank, and a regulator.
You could then get a cheap little carbonator cap that would work on 1 and 2L bottles (that is, the ones with standard soda caps that are designed to hold pressure), but the tank and regulator are the more expensive end of that. The keg needed to do the entire batch at once is pretty cheap, and a cobra/picnic faucet and line is even cheaper.

Tough love: Either suck it up and drop a little bit of coin for a CO2 tank, regulator, a keg (or two) and the picnic faucet, drink your beer flat, or you're going to be drinking something else for Independence Day.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #5
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
You're not going to want to hear this, but even if you had a full kegging setup in place it wouldn't be fully carbed and ready to drink in 2 days.

I'd just enjoy some craft beers on the 4th and save that homebrew batch until it is ready to drink.
Carb stone and burst method can be 90% carbed in 24 hours. Both neighbors of mine carb like this when in a pinch regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
beerguy52
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You can carb chilled beer in 20 minutes. Assuming a keg of beer at serving temperature, use a carb chart to determine your pressure requirement. Lay the keg on its side. Connect the gas side. Apply pressure. Roll keg constantly back and forth to dissolve gas. Pause occasionally and listen for gas bubbling into the keg. When gas no longer bubbles into the keg it is fully carbonated for that temp/pressure combo. This is my go-to method and it works every time. And I swear it takes no more than 20-25 minutes. (Zymurgy had an info on this recently as a part of an article on turbo brewing).

Old 07-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
crazybluerider
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Run down to your local HBS I bet you can get a tank regulator and a single corney for around a hundred bucks if you do some shopping. Pick nick tap and a trashcan with ice in it and your good to go. I personally prefer to carb the beer a little slower than that but its your beer.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
dcHokie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 186

laiced, I'll give myself a demerit and caveat my earlier comment.

It CAN be carbed super fast, but whether it is appropriately carbed to style, cleared and ready to drink is up to your personal preference. cheers

Aging: Sour Solera, Flemish Gold, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Anejo Rum Sour, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Funky Barleywine Barrel, Sour Rye Whiskey Barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 07-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
beerguy52
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie
laiced, I'll give myself a demerit and caveat my earlier comment.

It CAN be carbed super fast, but whether it is appropriately carbed to style, cleared and ready to drink is up to your personal preference. cheers
Fair enough.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
erikpete18
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts

There is a cheaper way. Not sure if you can get it in time, but you could pick up a carbonator cap that fits onto 2-liter bottles, a CO2 charger that uses the tiny canisters, and a ball-lock gas QD to connect the two. Plastic bottles can hold high pressures, and with shaking you should be able to get it carbed up fairly quickly. Haven't tried it myself, but you might be able to find some people on here who have.

Quick Reply