Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How do I clean my picnic tap line??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
HoppyDaze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1111 Times on 838 Posts
Likes Given: 600

Default How do I clean my picnic tap line??

So im looking at this thing and cant figure it out....It looks like I should just be able to pull the tap out of the line. The other end where the disconnect is looks a little more complicated. If I could just get one end off I could get the thing clean....thanks!

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Advice for posting

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 02:03 AM   #2
lmg95
Recipes 

some boiling hot water should soften the plastic/vinyl beer tubing if you really have to take it off.

Primary #1: Empty
Primary #2: Empty
Bottled: DFH 60-min IPA & "Chinook" Blonde Ale
Keg #1:Blue Balls Wit
Kegs #2,3,4: empty :(
Planned: Centennial Blonde

Old 07-29-2009, 02:05 AM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

While you are cleaning the keg You can run some cleaner and then starsan through the hose. This is how I do it. I never take the hose apart.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:07 AM   #4
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not sure what level of cleaning is necessary. If it isn't too bad you can put a couple gallons of a cleaning solution such as Oxyclean in the keg and run it through the system, then flush with water, then a Starsan mix.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 07-29-2009, 02:12 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I'm all about easy, so I know the easy way!

See the flat long slot on the black QD? Unscrew that, but do it over a white paper towel, so you can see the parts. There will be: one spring, one plastic pointed thing, one gasket (which might stick to the slotted top), and the top. Put those four parts together in some oxiclean. Now, unscrew the top of the picnic tap. It comes right off. Now you can run oxiclean, water, and then star-san through it. Put the picnic tap top back on. Then, in reverse order put together the black QD. The "short" plastic pin goes down, with the long side sticking up, then the spring goes over that, then the slotted top with the gasket back in place.

It sounds way more complicated than it is! It's so easy even a Yooper could do it!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
While you are cleaning the keg You can run some cleaner and then starsan through the hose. This is how I do it. I never take the hose apart.
Yeah, when I clean a keg after it runs dry, I keep a couple of gallon of star san water under pressure in it, sitting next to the kegerator. Cleaning a liquid line only takes a second.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Unless it has been abused, you can just clean it, without having to get rowdy on it's azz with oxyclean.

They make this stuff called Beer Line Cleaner. I put some in a keg and feed it into the beer line and up through the tap. I let it set in there to soak. Then I flush with some star san, letting it soak a bit.

After that, hook it to a beer filled keg and drain off the first few ounces until it looks like beer again.

If you haven't been cleaning it at all for a while, then disassembly may in order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 07-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
Mad_Milo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It may be good to take apart the picnic tap and QD every couple kegs. Occasionally a biofilm may form on the silicone (?) part inside the tap itself, especially if it's a slow-to-kick keg or a soda keg.

Just make sure not to disassemble either over the sink or just throw them in the keg to soak. It sucks to catch a glimpse of the QD gasket or other part swim down the drain. :P

Quick Reply