Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > how do i clean a corny

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2005, 09:10 PM   #1
subwyking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default how do i clean a corny

how do i clean my 5 new free (see below link) corny kegs?

Free Cornies Rock!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2005, 11:12 PM   #2
ptpeter
Recipes 

actually im wondering the same thing, I just picked up 3 today for 8 bucks each and am wondering how to clean it and check to make sure its it good working order.

Old 12-12-2005, 11:16 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Take the plugs off (keep track of which is which), pull out the tubes and the poppet valves. Soak the parts in hot soapy water. Brush out the inside of the cornies with same. Check the o-rings over (I'd actually just replace all of the rubber) for flat spots & degraded rubber. Flush or brush out the tubes. Rinse everything. Reassemble. Pressure check.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-12-2005, 11:19 PM   #4
ptpeter
Recipes 

will these rust at all?

Old 12-12-2005, 11:26 PM   #5
subwyking
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ok, well i dont have a co2 tank yet. or fittings to go on the plugs, i just couldn't pass up the deal on these. cant beat free. where did you get yours peter?

Old 12-12-2005, 11:32 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've never seen rust on a cornie, just crud.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-12-2005, 11:45 PM   #7
SwAMi75

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I do just as David says, but I use Oxy Clean instead of soap. I guess it's the paranoia of a "headless" beer that steers me that way. But, clean is clean. Just rinse the hell out of it if you use soap.

When I'm ready to use one (if it has been a while since the cleaning), I'll soak the parts in a sanitizer, drain it all out really well, purge with CO2, and fill with my favorite beverage.

Gone unsung for far too long

Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 AM   #8
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Take the plugs off (keep track of which is which), pull out the tubes and the poppet valves. Soak the parts in hot soapy water. Brush out the inside of the cornies with same. Check the o-rings over (I'd actually just replace all of the rubber) for flat spots & degraded rubber. Flush or brush out the tubes. Rinse everything. Reassemble. Pressure check.
Ok heres my question. What are and how do you remove the 'poppet valves'? I am assuming they are the gas in and beer out valves but how do you take them out and what is required in cleaning them. The dip tube I know as well as the O rings but I have never seen a description of pulling the poppets.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:44 AM   #9
subwyking
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

just by looking at my "plugs" the poppets are little spring loaded valves. when the conector is in place the poppet is depressed allowing gas in or beer out. when the connector is off, the spring pushes the valve into a closed position.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:50 AM   #10
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Don't be afraid....take ONE keg, pull it all apart...keep each piece together and clean all with hot soapy water. Poppets will pop out once the fittings are unscrewed. Reach in the keg itself and scrub with a 3M pad or NEW toilet brush that you will keep for this purpose only. Old brush is probably NOT a good idea! ! It's all SS so nothing will rust. Rinse the crap out of it. Check to make sure the rubber parts are all in one piece...anything with a crack or brittle needs replacing. DO NOT MIX UP THE LIDS! DO NOT MIX UP THE VALVES AND DIP TUBES!

I store mine with iodophor solution in them and charged with 8psi...when I want to keg, I force the solution out the "beer out" side, pull the cover, rinse well and drain through the "beer out" side again, and keg.

Fill them with beer and get a cylinder with fittings and pressurize those things already! Oh, yea $8...where the hell did you get them?

Quick Reply