New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Houston, we may have a problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #21
HItransplant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
Relax buddy, we're only here to help...

If you want to knock all the gas out of solution fast, hook your gas line up to the beer out post, pull the relief valve and let CO2 bubble up through the beer for a minute. That will knock your tiny bit of CO2 out of solution and you can bottle right away. It's a great trick for overcarbed serving kegs: a couple of seconds of bubbling will significantly reduce the carbonation level.

Edit: I firmly believe that the CO2 you have in solution from dry hopping a fully-fermented beer in a closed system is negligible. I'd save my gas/time and just prime as usual.
I know everyone is trying to help, but this is the first post that has anything to do with my question. Thanks for actually reading my post.

Jeepdiver also seems to think I have nothing to worry about.

thanks again for chiming in, and for the interesting, and very useful trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver View Post
How much pressure and was gas hooked up the whole time. If you hit a keg with 30-50 OSI and unhook the gas you will end up with .000?? Vols of co2. Not enough to matter. You do realize that if you ferment beer even in an open container there is going to be dissolved co2 in it right?
gas was NOT hooked up the whole time and there couldn't have been more than 30 PSI in there to start with, but probably more like 10 or 20.

I do realize beer maintains dissolved co2, even in an open system... It was the loud hiss and large head of foam that made me feel like this was more than just dissolved co2..

granted, Ive never done this before.. but the head and the bubbling hydrometer sample made me feel like there would be more co2 in solution than the priming calculator was considering-- this made me fear bottle bombs.

if it was just co2 in solution, wouldn't that mean there would be nothing to vent? why then would I still be able to pull the bleeder and let co2 out? This is why I suspect more co2 than for the temperature it has been sitting at for the past 1-2 weeks.

thanks again guys/gals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #22
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I'm new to kegging, but find it pretty odd that if you managed to get a head, and bubbles to come off a nucleation point after only 10 days with 10-20psi in the headspace for the keg. If the gas wasn't hooked up the whole time, it would only absorb what it could, and even then it wouldn't be much at all.

I skimmed through, but is the keg cold? Or room temp? If it's room temp, and it got the mentioned gas, there is no way it's carb'd and something else is going on. That little bit of pressure is enough to keep it sealed and free of oxygen. You can bulk store it that way.

Also, if it's in solution, that doesn't mean you won't be able to vent it. If you purge the headspace in the keg, the co2 will attempt to come out of solution to fill that space to equalize it.

Also, adding the dry hop will also give it nucleation point for any residual co2 in the wort to come out as well, leaving that creamy, almost yeasty raft looking top.

I'd say your fine.. Prime and bottle away.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #23
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I'm new to kegging, but find it pretty odd that if you managed to get a head, and bubbles to come off a nucleation point after only 10 days with 10-20psi in the headspace for the keg. If the gas wasn't hooked up the whole time, it would only absorb what it could, and even then it wouldn't be much at all.

I skimmed through, but is the keg cold? Or room temp? If it's room temp, and it got the mentioned gas, there is no way it's carb'd and something else is going on. That little bit of pressure is enough to keep it sealed and free of oxygen. You can bulk store it that way.

Also, if it's in solution, that doesn't mean you won't be able to vent it. If you purge the headspace in the keg, the co2 will attempt to come out of solution to fill that space to equalize it.

Also, adding the dry hop will also give it nucleation point for any residual co2 in the wort to come out as well, leaving that creamy, almost yeasty raft looking top.

I'd say your fine.. Prime and bottle away.
yes, warm. Just blasted it with co2 to get the O2 out after racking onto dry hops. Gas was not connected, but there was certainly enough to seal the keg-- there was a creamy head, maybe from the 2 oz dry hops, but I didnt notice this the last time I dry hopped.

nevertheless, Im going to bottle today. I was mostly worried about foamy bottles (and then bottle bombs).

guess well find out.

thanks again!
Quote:

Old 07-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Yeah, warm beer, and that little burst of gas, there is no way in hell your keg is carbed.

Bottle away.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #25
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Yeah, warm beer, and that little burst of gas, there is no way in hell your keg is carbed.

Bottle away.
done.

I will say, the "plan" to use a little pressure to start the siphon through the keg dip tube = FAIL.

I had to switch to my autosiphon.

mixed pretty vigorously as the beer was 6-8 inches away from any 02, but im still worried about that sugar getting distributed.

needless to say, the whole batch is in a tote with 2 towels and a plastic bag over it (in case it go boom).

thanks again for everyone who helped and/or tried to help.

bottoms up!

Quote:

Quick Reply