Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Hot Glue bottle wax experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #61
smokinghole
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Most are doing this for the decorative aspect but it can help with long term aging for beers. The caps will allow oxygen transfer through the plastic liner over time. This just provides an additional barrier for the oxygen to work though.

Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #62
danorocks17
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

cracked open a barleywine that i had waxed dipped. The bottle was easy to open, and the wax was easy to remove with a butter knife. Beer was damn good too hahaha

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Old 12-19-2011, 03:06 AM   #63
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalwine View Post
Decorative element for gifts, possible aid in preventing any oxidation through the cap.
This is why I'm doing it. I am also curious to the effects of long-term aging of wine bottles with #8 corks (which I don't think seal as well) once they've been waxed. I've only done apfelwein, but I might try a mead and don't wanna lay out cash for an expensive corker (the $5 hammer operated job does just fine with #8s).

I'll edit with pictures:

100_2660-2-.jpg

100_2661-2-.jpg

The color is a little better in real life because I suck at photography. The one on the right was without shellac, the two on the left have it. The middle one is probably the best, since I waited for the wax to cool a bit and thicken up. I was just practicing with these because they are headed to my brewpal who doesn't remove his own labels.

Reason: adding pictures

Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #64
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Cool, glad this is still being played around with If I try this again I'll definitely throw some parafin in.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 PM   #65
JNewbs
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Updating the thread with my results. I was doing half batches using the following recipe:

6 crayons
3 - 10 inch 0.44 diameter hot glue sticks
a little bit less than 1/4 lb paraffin (Gulf) wax

I chopped it up, threw it into a tin soup can, and put it right on the glass top of my electric range on medium heat. It took about 5 minutes with intermittent stirring to reach total well-mixed liquid form.

After that it was a quick dip into the wax, a quick spin to get off some of the excess wax, then a quick flip of the bottle to let some of the excess drip down the side of the bottle to get that classic look you see on bottles of Dark Lord.

As I previously stated my problem was that using the crayon/glue combo looks gorgeous but I couldn't get the bottle opener to crack the top without serious effort. I was looking to thin down the mix so the spurs of the cap would stick out enough for the opener to get purchase on them.

Adding the paraffin successfully accomplished this. I can open the bottles without the floss/string or a knife or a sprained wrist. Also the wax comes right off of the bottle with no problem. The only downside here is that the wax is thin enough that any writing on the caps still comes through (as you'll see in the pictures I'll post later).

Also to answer a possible question in the future, I did this with these ratios 3 times with different colors. The exact amount of wax produced was enough to coat the tops of 30 bottles +/- 5 depending on how hot/cold your wax is (it goes on thicker if it's colder).

Hope this helps people out with some of the issues I was wrestling with!

Edit - pictures attached:

dsc_0673_edit.jpg   dsc_0674_edit.jpg   dsc_0676_edit.jpg  

Reason: added pics

Old 02-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #66
spenghali
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think using a twist-tie around the neck of the bottle would give a nice pull tab to get the wax off, plus they are free in the produce section of super markets!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #67
Henry22
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Seems that adding the bottling wax from midwest or nb to your next order would be the easiest. You cant be saving that much by doing it on your own.

Primary: Empty, soon to be Citra IPA
Drinking: Westbrook One Claw Rye PA and IPA, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'

Old 02-04-2012, 09:32 PM   #68
danorocks17
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry22 View Post
Seems that adding the bottling wax from midwest or nb to your next order would be the easiest. You cant be saving that much by doing it on your own.
You're probably right, but it's still fun to experiment. It fits the DIY ethos of homebrewing, so I think that's why I enjoyed doing it.

"blessing of your heart, you brew a good ale"

Old 02-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #69
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry22 View Post
Seems that buying beer from store would be the easiest. You cant be saving that much by doing it on your own.

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #70
Henry22
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
Seems that buying beer from store would be the easiest. You cant be saving that much by doing it on your own.

That doesnt really work. You actually cant get similar beer in taste and variety for the price of homebrew, which equipment costs aside, is usually .50 to .60 cents a beer. The price for the wax and crayons is at least 7 or 8 dollers, probably more. The wax off of midwest is 12 and you know its going to work.

Primary: Empty, soon to be Citra IPA
Drinking: Westbrook One Claw Rye PA and IPA, Anderson Valley Hop Ottin'

Quick Reply