Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Hot Glue bottle wax experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #31
TheWeeb
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 34

please post pictures with the results!

Up Next: Imperial Rhubarb Wheat
Fermenting:
Enjoying: too many odd bottles to list..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #32
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickfrothingham View Post
Anyone know where to buy something like these tags? Ideally I'm looking for some dark ones, cardboard with an eyehole for the floss

Any craft store should have "favor tags". Little tags for party favors. For something that you really want to be impressive, get some leather and make leather tags.
. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:12 PM   #33
julie0723
Recipes 

Default Wax Glue Recipe

Thank you for this recipe. I wanted something to use on some small craft projects without investing in $20+ per pound and this worked great and was economical.

What size of hot glue gun sticks are used in your recipe? I have a mini glue gun but the glue sticks range in size, length and diameter(according to gun size): 20 hot glue sticks:12 crayons.

Thank you

Old 11-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #34
knowitman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickfrothingham View Post
Since people asked; I started a recipe thread
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/peca...3/#post2368835

Also, here's the result of the technique described in this thread, using 12 "Scarlet" crayons and 20 glue sticks.

How close does this color match a Maker's Mark bottle? I am really curious for doing this for various purposes. And which sized glue sticks did you use?

Old 11-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #35
rickfrothingham
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

To both of you;

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie0723 View Post
Thank you for this recipe. I wanted something to use on some small craft projects without investing in $20+ per pound and this worked great and was economical.

What size of hot glue gun sticks are used in your recipe? I have a mini glue gun but the glue sticks range in size, length and diameter(according to gun size): 20 hot glue sticks:12 crayons.

Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowitman View Post
How close does this color match a Maker's Mark bottle? I am really curious for doing this for various purposes. And which sized glue sticks did you use?
@Knowitman - the first thing everyone says when they see it is, "Wow, that looks like what Maker's Mark does!" I haven't done a side by side comparison, but it definitely resembles it closely.

From my earlier post - I used 12 standard crayola crayons and 20 of the standard size glue sticks (4" long by .44" diameter size)

[(0.44in/2)^2]*pi*4in = 0.608 cubic inches of glue per 4 inch long standard glue stick.

There appear to be a large number of other sizes around the world, but the only other common one in America is the "mini size", being 0.28 inches diameter and 4 inches long;

[(0.28in/2)^2]*pi*4in = 0.246 cubic inches of glue per 4 inch long mini glue stick.

This means, among these two sizes of 4 inch long sticks, the ratio is just about 2.5 standard per 1 mini stick. Thus, the recipe would be 12 crayons, 50 4" long mini glue sticks. These appear to be the two standard diameter sizes, though stick length vary, so you would obviously need to adjust accordingly if it does.

The other thing - there is a lot of focus on the ratio of glue stick/crayon here, but it's just as important that you hit the right wax temperature when dipping. If it's too hot it will run down the sides a lot and dry thin; if it's too cold it will just glob on around the top. You have to experiment a bit to get it right.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #36
Encinoman
Recipes 

I am interested in doing this but is it possible to use glue sticks and regular candle wax and get the same effect?

"May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."

Primary:Triple Rye Red Ale
Secondary:Empty :(

Bottles: Lights Out (#8) Belgian Trappist ale Surly Cynic PM clone, Sierra Red Rock IPA, St. Paul Porter, Pumpkin Ale, Carribou Slobber

Old 12-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #37
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I won't be doing it this year but let me through out an idea. For the holidays mix up a batch of red and a batch of green. Dip the bottle first in one or the other color and let harden, then dip a little shallower in the other color. Makers did it once in 2006

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...-green-wax-750

Put yourself on the Homebrewers Map see the forum thread

My ridiculously easy stir plate buildMy Kegerator

Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #38
Encinoman
Recipes 

Thats what I'm doing this year for Christmas..i'll post pics to show the end result

"May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead."

Bottles: Lights Out (#8) Belgian Trappist ale Surly Cynic PM clone, Sierra Red Rock IPA, St. Paul Porter, Pumpkin Ale, Carribou Slobber

Old 12-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #39
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hey all! Glad this is working so well for everyone, it can be a bit hard to take off, I think it depends on how much wax there is compared to glue. When I opened mine I'd just slice it down one side with a knife and then peel off from the bottle edge.

Anyone compared this method to just bottle wax you can buy? I haven't brewed much lately so haven't done it, but I do plan on bottling a mead sometime soon.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #40
Encinoman
Recipes 

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&i...disp=inline&zw

Pretty rookie job but It turned out okay, I didnt use Crayola crayons I used the generic store brand Jumbo Crayons. I used 7 jumbos instead of 12 little ones and used 22 sticks of hot glue. Giving away as gifts at Christmas. Unfortunately the Wax is starting to crack on some of the bottles. But it should make them easier to open. I was pretty happy with the end result overall.

Quick Reply