Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Hot Glue bottle wax experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
clemson55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Maybe I'm confused but why don't you just buy this? Bottle Wax :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies
I have used it and it works great melted in a double boiler in about 10-15 minutes, obviously the consistency is right, and it comes in a ton of colors. I melted about 1/4 to 1/3 of the bag did 24 wine bottles and still have about 1/2 of that wax left for the next time. I would say you will get more than the 65 bottles they say depending how thick you go of course.

Primary - Empty
Secondary - Empty
Bottle Conditioning - None
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2009, 06:48 PM   #12
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Wonder if you could get crayons in a single color too.
go to http://www.crayolastore.com/configurator.asp and pick four colors (or the same color four times) You will get 16 of each color you pick (if you pick all the same you get 64 of that color)
Brad_Boston Likes This 
Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #13
FailureDrill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Were you able to let it cool and then heat it up again to do more bottles?

Old 09-08-2009, 02:07 AM   #14
Limited Visibility
Recipes 

I am going to experiment with this tonight while I try and wax some bottles. The first ones I used just straight crayons... although it was very thin it worked. After seeing this post with the glue sticks I think this might be the perfect thing to thicken up the wax a little for bottling. I used white wax to bottle a red wine... looks kinda cool

Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 PM   #15
camiller
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So according to conpewter it would take 12 crayons to 20 glue sticks to get the right consistancy. According to the internet a single crayon is 5 grams of mostly paraffin wax with a small amount of colorant. So 60 grams of paraffin. Since glue sticks come in various lengths/diameters 4"-10"L x .25"-.625"D we are close to a universal formula. Conpewter (or anyone else experimenting), any chance you could weigh one of the glue sticks you used? I'm leaning towards just buying the paraffin wax used in canning jellies and colorant used in candle making if it is cheaper overall, got to price the colorant...

Edit: One of the sealing wax write-ups used RIT dye as a colorant... Should be pretty cheap.

Last edited by camiller; 09-08-2009 at 10:04 PM.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:04 PM   #16
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't seem to have any more of the glue sticks to weigh, they were the normal size gluesticks from Meyer though. Good to know about the dyes and paraffin, I'll see how the cost breakdown is when I do a whole batch sometime.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 09-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
PassionBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
I don't seem to have any more of the glue sticks to weigh, they were the normal size gluesticks from Meyer though. Good to know about the dyes and paraffin, I'll see how the cost breakdown is when I do a whole batch sometime.
Hey, sorry for digging up an old thread but I had a question, conpewter, on your method. I see you used a soda can. So, you just added the glue sticks to the can and put the can directly over a propane/gas burner? Then add the crayons, mix, etc.?

Sounds simple expect putting that can over an open flame. Let me know, thanks!

Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A
Planning: Berliner Weisse, Citra Pale Ale

Old 09-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #18
ArtVandelay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't mean to keep an old thread alive but this piqued my interest since I work as an adhesive chemist for a hotmelt adhesive company. No joke.

The whole issue with this is the relatively high melting point/softening point of the adhesive which is probably >200F to get to a desireable viscosity to mix with crayons and pour over the bottle. Using adhesive is also going increase adhesion to the bottle and cap making it a pain to get off vs. just wax. It also won't be brittle enough to just crack off

I would just buy the premade bottling wax and be done with it. http://www.northernbrewer.com/winema...-red-1-lb.html

Old 09-02-2010, 01:17 AM   #19
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I used a water bath to melt the hot glue sticks and crayons. Once the hot glue was melted the wax from the crayons mixed in quite easily. Overall though I'd try it with parafin next time or just buy the bottle wax. You could always buy the bottle wax and modify the color with crayons.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 09-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #20
PassionBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
I used a water bath to melt the hot glue sticks and crayons. Once the hot glue was melted the wax from the crayons mixed in quite easily. Overall though I'd try it with parafin next time or just buy the bottle wax. You could always buy the bottle wax and modify the color with crayons.
I just wanted to say I used this method last night and it turned out beautifully! Thanks again

Primary: N/A
Secondary: N/A
Planning: Berliner Weisse, Citra Pale Ale

Quick Reply