New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Horrible taste!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
carter840
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Horrible taste!

Alright so I wait weeks for my first two beers to be ready then spend hundreds of dollars on my taps, and yet my beer tastes like plastic. Bottom line is that I've got a 10 foot length of beer line 3/16" from the LHBS and the beer is definetly picking up strong plastic favors. Everything in the setup is new so I'm not 100% sure it's the line, but everything was very clean and I ran at least a gallon of iodophor through the lines.

If I pour out a half cup the beer taste great. It's seems clear that the issue is beer that has been sitting in the line is picking up plastic taste. Even in 10 minutes the beer in the line tastes undrinkable. Any suggestions?

What's the best beer line to replace this junk I've got and where online can I buy it.

Btw the current line is stamped beverage line and is certainly food rated.

Thanks

Last edited by carter840; 02-03-2012 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Poor spelling

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
BargainFittings
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Its the lines

The high end beverage line is pricey but it has an inert lining that will prevent this.
Here is a thread with tests info etc and beverage line suggestions:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/beer-line-tests-solution-plastic-taste-60380/

Old 02-03-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

farm house has 50 ft of the good lines for 15 bucks plus shipping.

thats cheap.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 16

(Kuritek) Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra, no taint at all. It is available in 3/16. It's a b*tch to get on to the connectors, but it's worth it.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
carter840
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside92129 View Post
(Kuritek) Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra, no taint at all. It is available in 3/16. It's a b*tch to get on to the connectors, but it's worth it.
Do you have a source online where I could acquire it? I'm glad this has been discussed and in some way solved. I can't believe that amount of "off" taste I am getting. I'm certainly willing to pay to fix this problem.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #6
Crito
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside92129 View Post
read to put the end of the line in boiling water for 30 seconds then connect it.

is this true?

Old 02-04-2012, 04:39 AM   #7
Crito
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter840 View Post
Do you have a source online where I could acquire it? I'm glad this has been discussed and in some way solved. I can't believe that amount of "off" taste I am getting. I'm certainly willing to pay to fix this problem.
http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com

they are a sponser here, so I can post the link

Old 02-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #8
TravisT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Try to soak the lines in hot water with a healthy dose of baking soda for a few hours.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
copyright1997
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crito View Post
read to put the end of the line in boiling water for 30 seconds then connect it.

is this true?
I only wish it was that easy. It is a real ______ to get the Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra onto a 1/4" connection, and it took many tries of using boiling water, putting the other end in the boiling water, using needle need pliers to try to open it a bit, and so on. While I was able to get one or two to work, I decided to give in as I wanted to create a bunch of lines for my refrigerator and for a new keezer build. I finally gave up and ordered these from Williams brewing: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/316-HOSE-ADAPTER--P2863.aspx. The next problem (after setting those up) was a slow leak on the faucet end (I used two of the 3/16" hose adapters on the bev line) when trying to do soda pressure (e.g. 30 PSI or so). To fix that, I bought these http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=343 (Nylon flare washers).

But, to get back to the original issue, NO SMELLS from the Bev-Seal!

Last n brews:
4/10/14: Birch Beer (Soda) (Carbonating in keg)
3/31/14: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (condition/carb in keg)
3/25/14: Belgian Ale (in keg)
3/21/14: mrbowenz English IPA (in keg)
3/17/14: Mirror Pond Ale (in keg)
3/17/14: Blue Moonish WIT (in keg)
3/15/14: Ballast Point Sculpin IPA (in keg)
keezer: Cream of 3 crops, Mirror Pond, Blue Moonish, Sculpin IPA, English IPA, Belgain Ale (SWMBO Slayer variant)

Old 02-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Crito
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997 View Post
I only wish it was that easy. It is a real ______ to get the Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra onto a 1/4" connection, and it took many tries of using boiling water, putting the other end in the boiling water, using needle need pliers to try to open it a bit, and so on. While I was able to get one or two to work, I decided to give in as I wanted to create a bunch of lines for my refrigerator and for a new keezer build. I finally gave up and ordered these from Williams brewing: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/316-HOSE-ADAPTER--P2863.aspx. The next problem (after setting those up) was a slow leak on the faucet end (I used two of the 3/16" hose adapters on the bev line) when trying to do soda pressure (e.g. 30 PSI or so). To fix that, I bought these http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=343 (Nylon flare washers).

But, to get back to the original issue, NO SMELLS from the Bev-Seal!
I spent 15 bucks for this line. Now I am not using it and ended up buying the white tubing from homedepot. Seems to have good reveiws on this forum.

It was impossible to connect it with every trick in the book for me. I spent to much money on the 1/4 setup to buy new connectors.

Quick Reply