Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Homemade Ceramic Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #41
JohnWilliamson062
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Grolsch will be disappointed to hear that!
I thought about Grolsch LONG before I posted that, but what do you think their shelf life is? Do you think they want bottles out for 2-3 months in the light?

From my post above you might think I meant they are only good for a few days. That obviously isn't true, but the first time I reused swing tops(I think Grolsch), I sealed with the stopper and they were flat 6 months later. Not sure at what point in between they went flat. The capped bottles were fine. There may have been some other deviance in the process, but I don't think so.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #42
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've found the swing tops to be very inconsistant. Grolsch/Fisher seem in my usage to work about 90% of the time, with the EZ-Cap working about 30-40%. I think the Ceramic tops on the commercial ones seal better than the plastic ones that EZ-Cap uses. I had some Cider that was over 2 years old that was perfectly carbed, but other bottles didn't ever carb up. It's just really hit and miss with them. When I first started I bought 4 cases of the EZ bottles, one got lost in the move and the other 3 are only used for Cider so if it is flat no real big deal. Now that I started Kegging I will probably just use them to fill a few to take somewhere from the keg.

I would think it would be really hard to get a good enough opening to seal really great on a home-made bottle. The gaskets aren't real flexible so if it isn't close to perfect I could see a problem with it sealing correctly.

That being said, the bottle are really cool looking, and would be awesome if you could get them to work.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #43
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

There is a trade off when using flip tops of any kind. Easier to cap your bottles when bottling, but more maintenance before you bottle. If the gaskets are worn, dry, or dirty (on either side), there WILL be problems. If you aren't removing the gasket to inspect and clean, expect to have a few fizz out. When I first started using them I just cleaned and inspected them (brief look) while on the bottle and always had 4-6 per batch that lost carbonation. Once I began removing them to clean thoroughly and truly inspect, I cant remember even one loosing carbonation. For the record, I bottle nearly all my holiday type beers in flip top that sit for 9-12 months before consuming, and have yet had one fail (just found some wood to knock on...).

Old 01-10-2013, 03:24 PM   #44
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1065 Times on 795 Posts
Likes Given: 523

I have noticed that with most store bought flip top style bottles that the gaskets tend to be glued to the lid so that there is only a possible leak on one side.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #45
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon View Post
I have noticed that with most store bought flip top style bottles that the gaskets tend to be glued to the lid so that there is only a possible leak on one side.
I still rip em off and install new one before use....

Old 01-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #46
bizarrojosh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

so the bigger question is this: why did one bottle hold carbonation well and cause the beer to fizz out of the top when opened while the other bottles didn't hold carbonation at all?

Old 01-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #47
Miller4
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts

My guess is that there is some variation to how tight the lids are being held down because there are slight differences in how far down the holes are that hold the entire mechanism to the bottle. I can tweak the metal wire in order to get a tighter or looser fit and on the next batch I might make sure all the caps flip on much tighter in order to hopefully seal better. Any thoughts?
Also revvy had mentioned pressure testing the bottles before hand in order to see if they would stand up to the pressure of carbonation. Does anybody know of a way to do this, preferably safely? Because it would be handy on my next batch of bottles.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #48
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller4 View Post
My guess is that there is some variation to how tight the lids are being held down because there are slight differences in how far down the holes are that hold the entire mechanism to the bottle. I can tweak the metal wire in order to get a tighter or looser fit and on the next batch I might make sure all the caps flip on much tighter in order to hopefully seal better. Any thoughts?
Also revvy had mentioned pressure testing the bottles before hand in order to see if they would stand up to the pressure of carbonation. Does anybody know of a way to do this, preferably safely? Because it would be handy on my next batch of bottles.
before freaking too much about one bottle that did not carb, didn't you mention your basing this off the word of a roommates friend? Obviously he doesn't have respect for other peoples things, but does he have the knowledge of beer needed to even worry about what his opinion is?

Old 01-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #49
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller4 View Post
Very un-scientific way, but you could always put a few alka-seltzer, or just vinegar & baking soda in them and cap them. No clue on the amount of pressure that would build, but it would at least prove they are air tight before wasting beer.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #50
Miller4
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts

@Irish Red- I am basing it on the word of a roommates friend so yes it is taken with a grain of salt, however I do know that the individual would notice if it was as carbonated as he is a beer drinker. Also I know that the beer in other bottles, glass as well as the one jug, was quite bubbly and made quite a bit of foam, so my guess is that he would have hopefully noticed. So I am guessing that it is very possible it could have been flat. And not necessarily freaking out, just thinking of ways that could ensure a better seal

@JeepDiver- I like that idea at least for testing if any gases are leaking out. Perhaps I will try this and put the bottle underwater and inspect for bubbles. However it would also be nice to see what kind of pressure the bottles could withstand.

Quick Reply