Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Homemade Ceramic Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #31
Dr_Jeff
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Incredible work !!!
An idea would be one that look like a hop cone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #32
bizarrojosh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

These are great! My wife is a potter and I've had her make me a couple of mugs and snifters, but I always thought that jugs like this were only good for whiskey and moonshine. Prove me wrong so that I can get her to make me some of these!

Old 01-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #33
nghtmre4u
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Very nice

On Tap: Edwort's Hause Ale, Circle City Haus Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Wheat, Centennial Blonde
Fermenting: Rat Dawg Pale Ale, American Lager, Jamils Blonde
On Deck: Edwort's Bavarian Hefeweizen, Biermuncher's Your WIT-ness" Belgian wit

Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #34
Miller4
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts

I just returned from break and was eager to check my bottles. I gave two away over christmas so I only have two left with beer. The blue jug style had spots of sticky dried beer all over the side, so I figured it had either broken somewhere or had been leaking out of the top from not being tight enough. However when I opened the top it made a very loud pop and this is what I got,

I was pretty startled because I had thought that it had lost any carbonation. You can see all the little sticky spots in the picture, my best guess is that the inside didn't get completely glazed and the beer made its way through the porous clay wall to the outside, because there are tiny little chip like spots where the sticky beer was. Anyways I found it to be quite strange.

The second bottle I have still looks perfectly fine and I will get some more photos whenever I open it, probably sometime this next week.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #35
bizarrojosh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller4 View Post
I just returned from break and was eager to check my bottles. I gave two away over christmas so I only have two left with beer. The blue jug style had spots of sticky dried beer all over the side, so I figured it had either broken somewhere or had been leaking out of the top from not being tight enough. However when I opened the top it made a very loud pop and this is what I got,

I was pretty startled because I had thought that it had lost any carbonation. You can see all the little sticky spots in the picture, my best guess is that the inside didn't get completely glazed and the beer made its way through the porous clay wall to the outside, because there are tiny little chip like spots where the sticky beer was. Anyways I found it to be quite strange.

The second bottle I have still looks perfectly fine and I will get some more photos whenever I open it, probably sometime this next week.
I don't know why it's over carbonated. My only guess was that it wasn't done fermenting and started again once you bottled or there was too much priming sugar added.

I'm also puzzled by the beer spots on the bottle. The outside is glazed from what I can tell so it would seem that even if the inside wasn't glazed completely the outside glaze would have stopped any leaks. Maybe the pressure from the over carbonation caused it to force it's way out?

Either way, this is a great experiement because I'm trying to get my wife to do this for me. Keep us posted!

Old 01-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #36
Miller4
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts

Well I'm a little peeved, apparently one of my roommates friends opened my ceramic bottle from the fridge last night after I had gone to bed. So that is a little upsetting and I wasn't able to get any photos. Anyways I asked him if it was at least carbonated since it was a two month long experiment that I was working on, response, "Oh, sorry, it was a little bit flat..."

So there you go, I guess it didn't hold the pressure very well as it was a little bit flat. I will ask the people I gave the other two bottles to take photos when they open them and hopefully I can get them posted here. In the mean time I am working on a slip casting bottle project and will be throwing more bottles as well.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #37
JohnWilliamson062
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You were just using the EZ-top to seal it, correct? In my experience they won't work for long term storage even in commercial glass bottles. Have to cap it then use the EZ-top when serving. Mostly aesthetic. OK for mead where I might drink a liter over a couple days.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #38
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWilliamson062 View Post
You were just using the EZ-top to seal it, correct? In my experience they won't work for long term storage even in commercial glass bottles. Have to cap it then use the EZ-top when serving. Mostly aesthetic. OK for mead where I might drink a liter over a couple days.
Grolsch will be disappointed to hear that!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #39
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2653 Times on 2071 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWilliamson062
Nah man that ain't true.. I've kept beer for years in swing tops with no difference noticeable.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #40
aubiecat
Blake Owen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Great bottles. I love to see stuff like this. Very cool idea.

Blake
Electric BIAB Build | BIAB Mesh False Bottom | Controller/Fermentation Chest

Quick Reply