Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Holy Lord!! 7.0 GE chest freezers @ HD for $170?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #31
MultumInParvo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

$170 is a pretty great deal. If I had the space I would certainly get one. Unfortunately even a 7 sq foot keezer would take up a large percentage of space in my apartment. Maybe I should sell the futon and put a keezer there? Who needs to sit when having a homebrew anyways?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #32
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Got mine!

actually this is the 2nd chest freezer I bought this week. I got a 13cf one yesterday to keep the swmbo happy with actual freezer space. This one is for me.

We'll see if I can switch them and see if she call tell though

Old 10-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #33
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by josiahcox View Post
And I am sorry to all the wives, gfs and other SWMBO's who are getting new chest freezers this week. I had to share the good find and my wife shares your pain/anger.
LOL, yep, I forwarded the link to my wife and she started asking if it was going in the garage. She then asked about safety with the two kids and if I could lock it. Yes, yes, find a good spot to put it, safety is an issue, lock kids in garage, sure, whatever!!

Old 10-28-2009, 07:57 PM   #34
humann_brewing
More Humann than human

Recipes 

Liked 312 Times on 310 Posts
Likes Given: 20

oh yeah, I just ordered a wired thermowell and regular thermowell from the vendor, Derrin on here too

I should be set for temp control now !!!

Old 10-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #35
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Shoot, I just got a 7 cf freezer at Lowes three weeks ago, for about 200.
I guess I won't complain, the good thing was free delivery and removal of the old dead unit 15 cf. It was down in the basement, so to me that was worth the extra 30 bucks...

-Those that know don’t close the door on those that don’t know (The Gourds, "Education Song")...
-The brewer's yeast ferments, and forgives, all that you did...(The Gourds, "Right in the Head")...

Old 10-29-2009, 07:35 AM   #36
gerbache
Recipes 

I have one of these GE models, but I've never tried to fit more than 3 kegs at a time. I don't have a collar on mine, so I can't use the hump for a keg, plus my tank is just slightly too tall for the hump with the regulator in place. If you can fit 4 without using the hump, it would be super tight. Mine is now a general purpose beer fridge with both kegs and bottles filling the space.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #37
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

for the tank to fit on my hump I had to put the regulator upside down since the regulator was what didn't allow it to fit.

as far as fitting 4, they fit basically perfectly tight. it's a good and a bad thing. I like it really. the less airspace I have and the more liquid I have the more constant my freezer will keep temperature.

I did add a collar though for line space and some more height for my taps. right now I have about 9 pounds of hops and 20 pounds of grain in the freezer with 4 kegs and the 5lb tank.

it's a very very tight fit but it works.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #38
Nugu
Recipes 

That's the freezer I got on CL for 50$. Like it's been stated it holds 4 ball locks TIGHTLY in the bottom, and 5 (only 1 on hump) if you collar it. With ball locks and no collars there is barely enough room above the kegs for the hosing to sit.

I use 4 kegs and a 24 oz paintball tank w/ party taps and have the ledge clear for my favorite bottled commercial brews.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #39
josiahcox
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

elmetal - was it easy to remove the lid? I'm assuming that you mounted the collar to the top and then mounted the lid to the collar. Is that right?
I'm going to try and remove the hinge covers tonight on mine and unscrew the hinges so wish me luck

Old 10-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #40
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the lid takes.... 10 screws to remove. theres 1 screw on each side for the hinge cover, then 4 screws to actually attach each hinge onto the freezer. unscrew all that, glue the collar on, put lid on top, and attach lid to hinge, or double hinge if you'd like.

my collar is just glued with liquid nails tub edition right now. after drying it doesn't need anything else really.

my lid has a big piece of wood glued to the top (in the process of making a bartop) and just glued on I can easily lift the lid without any fear of ripping it off.

Quick Reply