New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Higher quality picnic tap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
brevity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Higher quality picnic tap

I discovered that my brand new picnic tap is very touchy and will spray beer with the slightest pressure on the handle. Not to mention, when I set my keg pressure to anything above 15 psi I'll come back to a nice beer puddle a couple hours later. I know that I can reassemble it, or buy a replacement but since I'll be using these for a while, are there quality built picnic taps available? My searches have yielded nothing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Never seen anything other than the cheap [crappy] picnic taps. If you want something better, then step up to a Perlick faucet and install it. I did shortly after I started kegging and don't regret it for an instant. Perlick faucets are 1000000x better than the picnic taps.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 01-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
brevity
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
Never seen anything other than the cheap [crappy] picnic taps. If you want something better, then step up to a Perlick faucet and install it. I did shortly after I started kegging and don't regret it for an instant. Perlick faucets are 1000000x better than the picnic taps.
I'd love to but wouldn't this require drilling holes into a fridge or collar of some sort? Right now that isn't an option. Are there any other mounting options for those things?

Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Someone did a temp mount, inside a fridge using wood to hold it. I don't have the link handy, so you'll have to hunt for it.

I simply drilled the door for my brew fridge (it's dedicated for kegs and hops).

It's not as difficult as you may think...

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
beernut70
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have seen guys attach a regular faucet to a short piece of board like a 1x4 and just leave it in the fridge or hang it from a shelf.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #6
nhwrecker

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 4

they make adaptors for regular taps (perlick, etc) to fit right onto corny kegs, like this

http://www.beer-wine.com/products/faucet-chrome

Damn Revv. Now I want a counterflow chiller and a Nigerian sex slave. Wonder which one the SWMBO will let me get first........

Borderline Brewing Co. Nashua, NH

Old 01-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
Golddiggie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhwrecker View Post
they make adaptors for regular taps (perlick, etc) to fit right onto corny kegs, like this

http://www.beer-wine.com/products/faucet-chrome
NOT a good idea when you have the keg on pressure for carbonating and serving. Chances of getting tons of foam is virtually a sure thing. Those are typically used on already carbonated kegs, that have the pressure released on, and then charged with one of the pocket chargers (or with very low CO2 pressure levels).

I wouldn't use those for anything more than a party where you have the already carbonated keg, where you're only going to feed it a few psi to keep the beer flowing out.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 AM   #8
AT-JeffT
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Try tightening the picnic tap.(round body part) It should hold over 15 that way.

Quick Reply