Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Help me diagnose what went wrong.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #1
bigredbarn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Help me diagnose what went wrong.

Good morning,

I kegged my first beer last weekend - a variation of the popular Centennial Blonde recipe posted in the recipes forum.

Our first pours tasted fantastic for two days. I mean, completely awesome. We could have crushed the keg if I didn't want to save some for more people to try.

Anyway, after about five days in the keg, it's tasting pretty bad. It now has a very unpleasant bitterness/astringent taste that was nonexistent upon first trying it.

Now, some theories:

1) I kegged it at my house and drove it to a friend's house to put in the kegerator. I did not purge the oxygen before transporting it. Is it possible that such a rapid oxidation could be a result of this poor handling practice?

2) We force carbonated it and drank about an hour after it settled. Is that too soon? Would the beer somehow separate without being given enough time to settle out?

Let me know your thoughts and thanks for your attention!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
KellyK
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

How are your sanitation practices on the keg? What did you use to clean and sanitize it prior to putting the beer in. It's not a great practice to fill a keg and then move it without topping off with CO2, but that typically wouldn't cause astringency/bitterness.

Also, if the off is appearing 5 days later, that doesn't say that you're experiencing a yeastiness issue. Sometimes transporting a keg will cause the yeast to shake up into suspension and can have a funny off - that's why NHC suggests racking into a clean keg prior to transport to make sure as little yeast as possible is in the keg.

My guess is you didn't have your cleaner completely rinsed or there was chlorinated water residue in the keg itself when you filled it up. 5 days is about right for a chlorophenolic (medicinal) taste to develop. It could also be that the keg was not sanitized properly and you are tasting the first stages of an infection.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
bigredbarn
Recipes 

Hey, thanks for your thoughts.

I sincerely doubt it was an infection. It was a new keg, which I rinsed profusely and then clean with Star San. It was almost dry when filled.

Medicinal is a good descriptor so something must have gone wrong. I will attempt to be more careful.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I think it's just the co2 carbonic acid. I think it's slightly overcarbed. Lower the serving pressure and purge the Excess co2 out. Check it in a couple weeks and it will be better.
I had this happen just recently to me. It was much more bitter astrigent, a couple weeks later it went away after lowering the co2 pressure.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Gunfighter04
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Star san is a contact sanitizer, meaning it needs to be wet to be effective. Generally I put the star san in, add about a gallon of water and slosh liberally. I then drain just before filling. As the advertising goes, doen't fear the foam.

WOODY: Hey, Mr. Peterson, there's a cold one waiting for you.
NORM: I know. If she calls, I'm not here.

Keg1: Scotch Ale
Keg2: Nut Brown
Bottled: Cider
Primary: Belgian Strong

Old 06-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #6
CPooley4
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredbarn View Post
Hey, thanks for your thoughts.

I sincerely doubt it was an infection. It was a new keg, which I rinsed profusely and then clean with Star San. It was almost dry when filled.

Medicinal is a good descriptor so something must have gone wrong. I will attempt to be more careful.
What PSI and temperature do you have it at currently? Has it been at those levels since you originally carbed it? How long did you have it on the gas originally when carbing and at what PSI?

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
bigredbarn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRems View Post
I think it's just the co2 carbonic acid. I think it's slightly overcarbed. Lower the serving pressure and purge the Excess co2 out. Check it in a couple weeks and it will be better.
I had this happen just recently to me. It was much more bitter astrigent, a couple weeks later it went away after lowering the co2 pressure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPooley4 View Post
What PSI and temperature do you have it at currently? Has it been at those levels since you originally carbed it? How long did you have it on the gas originally when carbing and at what PSI?
This sounds like a great theory. I force carbed at about 16 PSI and backed it off to 11 at 41 degrees. I might still have higher volumes in the solution... ? It does not seem overcarbed though. It pours with a nice two finger head.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
allthingsgiant
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Your problem was in fact that you didn't drink it fast enough and that you didn't drive it over to my house. Lessons learned.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #9
bigredbarn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthingsgiant View Post
Your problem was in fact that you didn't drink it fast enough and that you didn't drive it over to my house. Lessons learned.
I was trying to be nice and save some for my friends but apparently nice guys not only finish last - they finish last with ****ty beer!

Old 07-01-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
CPooley4
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredbarn View Post
This sounds like a great theory. I force carbed at about 16 PSI and backed it off to 11 at 41 degrees. I might still have higher volumes in the solution... ? It does not seem overcarbed though. It pours with a nice two finger head.
Unfortunately, I don't think that is your problem. 16 PSI at 41 degrees would have you at about a 2.75 CO2 level. Not nearly enough to give you any overcarbonation issues.

If you're considering buying brewing software do yourself a favor and download my Brew Chart/Workbook first. You may not need to spend that money.

I like beer math!

Quick Reply