Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Help. Losing my C02 somehow

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
stickbow9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help. Losing my C02 somehow

So I am new to kegging and am working with two borrowed cornys. I have lost a 3rd 20 lb tank now and am totally frustrated. Here is where I am at. I have regastketed both and pressure tested both and used keg lube. I have force carbonated 2 different beers, and they serve fine but only have gas for about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks after dialing down to serving pressure. I was using the wrong gas line qd on the liquid post and was getting very minor amounts of liquid around the post from the qd. I was too ignorant to think anything of it. I have a set screw style clamp on the gas line hose attachment to the regulator(wonder if that matters)? Is it possible that I have a gas leak coming from my liquid post/qd location? I would think a leak from there would be all liquid. Next I feel like getting a brand new regulator as mine is old and after 3 tanks of gas I have lost confidence. Any advice would help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
brew_ny
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 569

take a spray bottle with star san then spray connections/fittings and look for bubbles

would be where I would start from

good luck

S_M

Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
stickbow9
Recipes 

Yeah I thought I did, but must do a better job probably.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
abarnett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If all else fails, spray your regulator (front and back). There have been a few threads on here recently where the regulator body itself gets a pinhole leak right through (seemingly) solid metal.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
stickbow9
Recipes 

Thanks. I am fearing this, as well as being able to hear my gauge making very faint noise. My friend said they all do a bit but we will keep looking. Maybe $45-$60 for a new one is where I should be going.

Old 10-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1031 Times on 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickbow9 View Post
Thanks. I am fearing this, as well as being able to hear my gauge making very faint noise. My friend said they all do a bit but we will keep looking. [...]
They do not. Your friend is mistaken. Assuming a stable environment, once a gas system reaches equilbrium there is no gas flow through the regulator, and there will be no noise. And I mean "use a stethoscope on it" no noise.

You have a leak. Find it...

Cheers!

Old 10-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
bmick
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dish soap and water will provide you with a little more bubblage to fully cover the connections/parts to look for growing bubbles. Also, previous poster is correct, any noise at all is bad. Regulators should only make noise when you're making an adjustment or pushing gas (dispensing a beer).

Old 10-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 124

After your done checking the reg. check your disconnects also (spray with soapy water), next move onto your gaskets (on the keg) you should keep them lubed with keg lube, otherwise they tend to shrink, and crack, which will cause leaks. Next check your poppet valve on the keg posts, and the gaskets on the dip tubes. Personally I've had gas leaks from, bad poppets, dip tube O-rings, disconnects, and keg lid O-rings before. Approach the problem in a step by step basis, and you'll figure it out

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Custom Hand Crafted Fine Brewing Implements, Mash Paddles & Wood Working For Brewers by a Brewer. Serving both Pro Brewers and Home Brewing Customers"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores World Wide.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Nitrousbird
Recipes 

If you have gas shut-off's, it makes it a lot easier to narrow down the leak.

#1: Fill the lines then shut the tank off
#2: Shut off the output valve to the regulator. See if it holds pressure for an hour or two. If so, its not the regulator.
#3: Turn output valve to regulator back on, then shut off all outputs to your distribution manifold (assuming you only have one manifold). See if you hold pressure.
#4: If that all holds pressure, start turning on gas one by one to whatever is hooked up and try again.

Once you find where it causes your dip in pressure, use dish soap, StarSan, Mr. Bubble, etc. to locate the leak.

The hardest leaks are intermittent. I have one where it won't leak for several days then all of a sudden leak for a day then stop again. Very hard to narrow down.

Quick Reply