Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Bottling/Kegging (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/)
-   -   HELP!! Kegging problems!! (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/help-kegging-problems-357889/)

rinhaak 09-30-2012 10:30 PM

HELP!! Kegging problems!!
 
So I've had a hell of a time with my first kegging experiment, but I finally got it kegged up today.

I put it on about two hours ago and set the PSI to 30. However, I just checked and the PSI reads 0: there is no CO2 coming out of the tank!!

Can anyone tell me what happened? How could I possibly have gone through an entire tank of CO2 in an hour? There was no leakage that I could hear or detect.

I am also wondering what to do with the beer that I kegged. It just had a **** load of CO2 pumped into it - except when I tried to purge the keg no CO2 was released. (Clearly something went wrong)

I really like this beer and I don't want to lose it. Though I need to figure out how to solve my kegging problem, right now my biggest concern is saving my precious beer! I am thinking I will bottle it, but I am afraid to do so after I just put so much CO2 into the tank. Will that be a problem? Will that effect carbonation? Cause bottles to explode? Or is something so wrong that there isn't any CO2 in the beer anyhow?

Guide me, please!

Yooper 09-30-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinhaak (Post 4457858)
So I've had a hell of a time with my first kegging experiment, but I finally got it kegged up today.

I put it on about two hours ago and set the PSI to 30. However, I just checked and the PSI reads 0: there is no CO2 coming out of the tank!!

Can anyone tell me what happened? How could I possibly have gone through an entire tank of CO2 in an hour? There was no leakage that I could hear or detect.

I am also wondering what to do with the beer that I kegged. It just had a **** load of CO2 pumped into it - except when I tried to purge the keg no CO2 was released. (Clearly something went wrong)

I really like this beer and I don't want to lose it. Though I need to figure out how to solve my kegging problem, right now my biggest concern is saving my precious beer! I am thinking I will bottle it, but I am afraid to do so after I just put so much CO2 into the tank. Will that be a problem? Will that effect carbonation? Cause bottles to explode? Or is something so wrong that there isn't any CO2 in the beer anyhow?

Guide me, please!

The beer is fine, so don't worry about that! The c02 has a very protective effect, so no oxygen will harm your beer.

Now, you'll have to get some more c02 when you can. You obviously have a leak, either in the regulator, the line, the keg, etc. So once you get more co2, use some "leak detector" stuff and find and fix all of the leaks. I keep a bottle of star-san mixed up with water in a spray bottle on my kegerator and I spray each keg on all the connections each time I put a keg in the kegerator.

The thing to do now is to make sure the co2 is actually turned on, so check the valve and make sure it's open. If it's open, and no gas is coming out when you turn up the pressure on the gauge, the co2 is gone.

rinhaak 09-30-2012 10:48 PM

I'll have to make a trip to the store and pick up some Star San and another tank of CO2. Thing is, I'm really unable to get to the homebrew shop anytime in the next two weeks, so I'm thinking the wisest thing is to bottle this up and solve this with a keg full of water instead of beer. You say that CO2 has a protective effect, which may be true, but I'm not sure any CO2 even made it into the beer. When I purged the keg, nothing happened.

If I were to bottle it, and there were CO2 in the beer, would that harm the carbonation process?

Yooper 09-30-2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinhaak (Post 4457898)
I'll have to make a trip to the store and pick up some Star San and another tank of CO2. Thing is, I'm really unable to get to the homebrew shop anytime in the next two weeks, so I'm thinking the wisest thing is to bottle this up and solve this with a keg full of water instead of beer. You say that CO2 has a protective effect, which may be true, but I'm not sure any CO2 even made it into the beer. When I purged the keg, nothing happened.

If I were to bottle it, and there were CO2 in the beer, would that harm the carbonation process?

No. It's not carbed up at all, so you could prime as usual and bottle as usual.

jaynik 10-01-2012 01:33 AM

Did you ever hear a hissing sound of co2 going into the keg? If no be sure to check all of your valves and disconnects.

rinhaak 10-01-2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaynik (Post 4458289)
Did you ever hear a hissing sound of co2 going into the keg? If no be sure to check all of your valves and disconnects.

Yup, I did.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:24 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.