Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Help a brother out. Losing carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 03:01 AM   #1
Aylmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Help a brother out. Losing carbonation

During bottling, I have the simplest and most primitive method of siphoning. Yes, I suck and use my thumb as a stopper. During my last batch, the beer would splash on the bottom of the bottles, releasing every last bubble of carbonation. Now, two weeks after having been bottled I tried my caramel ale for the first time. It's flatter then texas. Anyways, I'm planning on throwing it back in secondary with 2 cups of sugar and another package of ale yeast for another month as the bitterness is a bit overwhelming also. Feel free to call me an idiot and tell me why, because at this point I have no idea what i'm doing. Any suggestions and/or objections to my plan?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Did you add priming sugar the first time? It may take longer than 2 weeks to get adequate carbonation but you sound in a hurry.

I would get some carbonation drops and open the bottles and drop one or two into each and recap.

Ever heard of a bottling wand?? They work great for what you are doing.

Gary

Old 07-24-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1067 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It sounds like he's trying to bulk carbonate in secondary, then rack carbed beer to the bottles. Sorry but it doesn't work like that. You mix the sugar in, then rack to the bottles. The carbonation happens in the bottle.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Aylmer
Recipes 

Gracias fellas. I will not rack to secondary and just add some more priming sugar and recap and wait, what, two weeks?. Carbonation drops are expensive at my lhms. And exactly how much priming sugar should I add to each bottle? I've only used the boil and pour in the batch method.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1067 Times on 711 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If you get the drops, it's just one drop per bottle. If you portion out sugar it would be about 3/4 teaspoon.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply