Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > help! Almond extract/ adding nuts for beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
cruzr1290
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default help! Almond extract/ adding nuts for beer

Hey, I planned on making a chestnut brown ale and bought everything for the beer but it turns our chestnuts are seasonal. any recommendations what to use instead. I know you can't just add any nut because they are too fatty and heard somewhere that extracts are better so I bought almost extract. will that work/does anyone have any recommendations? thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
bdupree
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

just don't buy a cheap extract from the grocery store. They usually have a medicine taste.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #3
audger
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 1

you can make your own extract with 4 parts grain alcohol to 6 parts distilled water (making around 40% ABV). blend up the nuts and put them in a canning jar with the liquid for a few weeks. if there is a visible oil slick on the top, put it in the freezer to solidify the oil and then skim it off. then just pass it thru a coffee filter and add it to the keg.

i ususally do a taste test before adding, because the stregnth of the mixture is so variable. pour a few 1oz cups of the beer, and use a medicine dropper to put varying amounts in each cup until you find the stregnth you like, then just do the math to scale it up for the entire keg.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
smokeyfisherman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audger View Post
you can make your own extract with 4 parts grain alcohol to 6 parts distilled water (making around 40% ABV). blend up the nuts and put them in a canning jar with the liquid for a few weeks. if there is a visible oil slick on the top, put it in the freezer to solidify the oil and then skim it off. then just pass it thru a coffee filter and add it to the keg.

i ususally do a taste test before adding, because the stregnth of the mixture is so variable. pour a few 1oz cups of the beer, and use a medicine dropper to put varying amounts in each cup until you find the stregnth you like, then just do the math to scale it up for the entire keg.
Wow.... That is awesome! I plan on trying this...

Quick Reply