New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > heineken mini keg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2008, 02:24 PM   #11
brewNdrink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkenjaeger
No, AFAIK you cannot use the heineken ones, they have a proprietary built-in CO2 charged draft system... There are plenty of breweries making beers in the more basic type of mini-kegs (bung in the top, simple spigot) that could be reused, but heineken is different. This has been discussed a number of times before, try searching - I even recall a thread where someone dissected a heineken keg to try to determine if it could be made reusable.
Really? I thought they were all the same. I've bought many of Warsteiner German beer in mini-keg format with the built-in spigot. Looks just like a Heineken one.

I wonder how the Heineken min-keg is different?? Off to search....

Here it is... you're right, Heineken kegs are different:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=57621

Last edited by brewNdrink; 03-30-2008 at 02:33 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2008, 04:29 AM   #12
showfire
Recipes 

Old 01-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #13
Doorman
Recipes 

This guy seemed to create something that works. Have anyone tried?

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=&t=21461

Old 01-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #14
Gramps2239
Recipes 

Yo

Old 01-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #15
ColumbusAmongus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hi. I have tried using the Heineken and New Castle kegs with poor success. These guys have a big CO2 cartridge inside them and if I remember right, you have to drill the top out to be able to rig up a bike valve. After I drilled, my hole was a little jagged so I had to file it down and I forever had a nice iron taste if I put anything in. I couldn't get all of the filings out and I really question the CO2 cartridge because you can't get it out and clean it well.

I aborted that style and went with a design somewhere from the NB boards I think that used the gravity style kegs with the spigot at the bottom. This style was much better but a little more $$ to build. I used a Bells keg when I did it. The top hole fits a tiny bung and then you mod it to fit a T-joint. One side is for a bike tire valve and on the other, you insert a bent stainless dip tube for serving. This style worked a lot better for me but sealing the dip tube was really finicky. Bending it was also terrible but the system did work well. It used a full CO 2 cartridge to carb up and then 1 to serve over time.

I also tried to re- use a coors mini keg system ( plastic bottle ). That failed miserably but they have a nice weighted tygon dip tube that I still use today. I slap that onto a syringe for my DIY wine thief. I also used the tube as the dip tube for the Bells keg to save money on stainless steel tubing.

I think the cost is a little high though for the gravity keg style with all of the stainless fittings and charger where it might work out to the same price as buying one of the party keg things from NB. Check the pricing on that.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #16
ColumbusAmongus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Here we go

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61167&sid=71d363b2f27a082a9a1b 7700865b58d6

I followed this guys work

Quick Reply