Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > have a batch and not bottles! ugh

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #1
Dilligas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default have a batch and not bottles! ugh

Well I have a Irish stout batch ready to add to the corn sugar/water mix and have realized I have no bottles, only brown screw tops....don’t ask.

So my question is that besides busting a few bottles, am I up the creek without a beer? Do not want them to lose carbonation, or blow up.

Britten

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4356 Times on 3168 Posts
Likes Given: 847

You can cover it with the lid and airlock, and wait until you have bottles. Of course, the priming solution will ferment out, so you'll need to boil water and add the priming sugar again. It can wait for you until you have the bottles, especially if you hit up the recycling center and/or go dumpster diving this week.

Edit- if you didn't already add the priming sugar, you can still just wait!

Old 07-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This is good news. Stouts are much better when left to age awhile and you can't do better than letting it bulk age in a carboy. See there is a silver lining to most things.

Welcome to HBT! Hope to see you around.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
Dilligas
Recipes 

....yep, going to let it sit for another few days until I go buy another batch of bottles. Thanks for making me wait for a better brew.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:21 AM   #5
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

My LHBS is charging $14 per case of empty bottles. Surely you know some beer drinkers who drink beer that doesn't come with a twist off cap. Eight six packs. That's all you need.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
paul_h
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Like said many times by many people, there's nothing wrong with twist tops when you have a good bench capper, I've got about 100 of them that have never exploded or lost carbonation.
Not to mention, you know that millions of twist top bottles are sold to the public (probably every day) and don't lose carbonation.
But anyway, leaving the beer in the fermenter for a while won't hurt if you refuse to use twist tops and have to wait a while before bottling.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #7
billtzk
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

I'd be willing to bet that most brewers who bottle don't have a bench capper. I have a two-hand-operated "freestyle" capper. It works fine, but I would not attempt to cap a twist off bottle top with it due to the thinness of the glass at the top edge.

No one expects a twist-off bottle to explode. They will lose carbonation if you don't cap them well. The biggest problem is the fragility of the glass and the natural variation in pressure when hand capping.

Do what you like. I toss out all such bottles because it's not worth risking my beer in them. I only save and use the pry off top bottles.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ok. Your punishment for such insolent behavior is to wa...no wait...run to the beer store and buy two cases of beer.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:08 PM   #9
JustDave

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What is this "buying bottles" you speak of? I hope you mean buying the pre-filled ones, so you have the pleasure of emptying them

Old 07-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4356 Times on 3168 Posts
Likes Given: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustDave View Post
What is this "buying bottles" you speak of? I hope you mean buying the pre-filled ones, so you have the pleasure of emptying them
Sam Adams bottles rock for homebrewing! The labels come off easily, and the beer inside tastes pretty darn good when you empty the bottles.

Buy a case of SA, and invite friends over. Put the empties in a big trashcan filled with some water and oxyclean, and pull out nice label free bottles and rinse well.

I use Grolsch bottles, too, since they have the EZ cap things. The beer isn't very good, though, but the bottles are fine (as long as you keep them in the dark, since the glass is green and skunking is an issue with green glass).

Quick Reply