Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Has Anyone tried using Sugar Cubes to Prime ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 03:17 AM   #1
Bigjack68
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Has Anyone tried using Sugar Cubes to Prime ?

Hi folks! I was wondering if anyone here in brewland had any experiences with using sugar cubes rather than loose sugar for priming carbonation. I just figured tossing a cube(or two) would be easier than spooning the sugar into the bottle. Any insights/experiences appreciated, thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
RacingRam
Not left handed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I usually dissolve my sugar in a little boiling water, then add it to the whole batch before bottling. That sanitizes the sugar and gives more even distribution. A whole sugar cube per bottle may been too h unless you're priming bombers.

• You know what they say: beer before liquor, never sicker. Liquor before pain killers and muscle relaxers, teepee town barbecue sound!

Old 06-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Bigjack68
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks Racing Ram. I appreciate your help. Kind of underwhelmed by the lack of response...

Old 06-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 281

weigh the cube. you want about 2.5 grams of sugar per bottle. google just told me a sugar cube weighs about 3 grams.

so one sugar cube will leave a beer with somewhat high carbonation. if this is to style, go for it. i'd be a little concerned about sanitization

Old 06-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Tarks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you want a consistent carb level from bottle to bottle and are concerned about sanitization then I would highly recommend adding "x" amount of sugar to a few cups of water, boil it for 10-15 min then add to your bottling bucket. Then rack the beer to the bottling bucket.

Kegged: Cascadian Pale Ale, Electric Pale Ale, Muddy Water Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Captain Hooked Pale Ale, Moose Drool

Bottled: Chimay Reserve Clone, Pumpkin Ale, Belgian Strong Ale

Fermentation: House Pale Ale, Black Betty Porter, House Cream Ale, House Amber Ale

Old 06-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #6
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjack68 View Post
Thanks Racing Ram. I appreciate your help. Kind of underwhelmed by the lack of response...
Most of us bulk prime, since it keeps the carbonation more consistent. Limiting yourself to a fixed amount of sugar per bottle won't allow you to dial in a specific carb level, but maybe you aren't concerned with that.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:40 AM   #7
Bigjack68
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
weigh the cube. you want about 2.5 grams of sugar per bottle. google just told me a sugar cube weighs about 3 grams.

so one sugar cube will leave a beer with somewhat high carbonation. if this is to style, go for it. i'd be a little concerned about sanitization
Well I am going to be using either 16oz or 1 liter bottles so 1 cube would be good for a 16oz or 2 for the 1liter. I'm assuming you were talking about standard 12 oz. bottles...

Old 06-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #8
Bigjack68
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarks View Post
If you want a consistent carb level from bottle to bottle and are concerned about sanitization then I would highly recommend adding "x" amount of sugar to a few cups of water, boil it for 10-15 min then add to your bottling bucket. Then rack the beer to the bottling bucket.
Might try this too... what's the ratio to add? Sorry guys I'm really new at this...

Old 06-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjack68 View Post
Well I am going to be using either 16oz or 1 liter bottles so 1 cube would be good for a 16oz or 2 for the 1liter. I'm assuming you were talking about standard 12 oz. bottles...
It depends how much carb you want

A standardish amount is 2.7 vols. That is 4 ounces (114 grams) per 5 gallon batch. A 5 gallon batch has about 50 12 ounce bottles. 114grams/50 bottles = 2.3 grams per 12 ounce bottle. one sugar cube is approximately 3 grams of sugar. so one sugar cube per 12 ounce bottle will somewhat overcarbed compared to my general standard of 2.7vols CO2 per beer.

you mention 16 oz bottles. a 16 oz bottle is 33% larger than a 12 ounce bottle. we determined above that 2.3 grams of sugar is needed per 12 ounce bottle. 2.3 grams * 1.33 = 3 grams = 1 sugar cube.

So it just so happens that 1 sugar cube is almost perfect for a 16 ounce bottle. It is a little too much for a 12 ounce bottle. one liter is about 32 ounces, so 2 cubes would be perfect for a one liter bottle.

i've never done it, but personally i think using sugar cubes in 16 ounce bottles does kind of make sense.

Old 06-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
Bigjack68
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info Progmac. I'll try it out on a 1L pop bottle and let you know what happens.

Quick Reply