Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Happy Keezer day!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Loup
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Happy Keezer day!

Keezer day is my own personal holiday today.

Over the last few weeks (perhaps months even) I have been slowly collecting the bits and pieces to start kegging.

I started out with the dual kegging setup from Midwest. They even give you a full tank if you pick it up locally. I've then collected a couple more kegs since then, as well as a 4-way splitter and various other bits and pieces.

I even kegged 3 batches of beer without having a way to cool the beer. I had a batch of India Brown Ale, an Autumn Amber and a batch of cyser just sitting there, waiting to be consumed.

Just yesterday, the guys from the local appliance place delivered my 14.8 cu. ft. freezer. So this morning I hopped down to one of the local homebrew shops and picked up a temperature regulator and now have my three kegs all hooked up to gas and cooling down.

I will admit that I just couldn't wait, my wife and I tried out the kegs just a little bit ago. The beer wasn't cold yet, but it still tasted pretty damned good.

I'm going to be just using picnic taps for a while, but as my financial reserves begin to rebound from the shock of buying a chest freezer, I'll start to buy some real faucets and make my freezer look a little more like something that should be dispensing beer, instead of something that should be cooling half a cow.

Apfelwein
Stout
Smoked Porter
Irish Amber Ale
Cherry Wheat

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Congrats. Picnic taps or not having multiple styles on tap is a great feeling.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
BakerStreetBeers
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Congratulations. I also had beer waiting when my keezer was completed. I found it to be great motivation for finishing the project.

Pictures?

On Tap: Dunkelweizen, Strong Irish Red
On Deck: Agave Wit, DC's RyePA, Belgian Blonde

"Ale man, ale's the stuff to drink / For fellows whom it hurts to think."
- Housman

Old 09-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I rather enjoy my picnic taps. they are easier to keep clean inside my keezer, and very easy to clean/sanatize.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Loup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

OK, it's been a little over a year since I actually started this thread, but I've finally got my keezer more or less done.

These aren't the best pictures in the world, but I'm kind of excited about the fact that it's finally done, so these will have to do for now. I'll try to take some better pictures and post them here later.

A little info on the setup.
It's a 14.8 Frigidair chest freezer.

There is enough room for 8 kegs without making any sort of collar, but two more kegs could be added with a fat enough collar (I didn't bother with this.)

Even though there is enough room to easily fit 8 kegs, I decided on only spacing for 7 faucets. I currently only have 6 faucets, but there is already a hole drilled in the center for a 7th. The hole is covered with a brushed stainless steel plate. I plan to put in a stout faucet for the 7th.

The tile is slate. I was originally a little nervous about how easy it would be to cut, how damage prone it would be and how easy it would be to clean. It actually cuts pretty easily, you only need to go slightly slower with a tile saw than you would with ceramic tile. It is somewhat damage prone prior to cementing it in place, I did have to re-cut one tile that broke just before installation, and of the 16 tiles that I purchased, two were broken in the box and another two broke while working with them. After cementing them in place they seem very solid. After sealing the tiles, they are easy to clean. The beer doesn't soak into the tile at all and a quick wipe with a rag cleans up any drips.

The cement and grout that I used were both acrylic based so they have a little bit of flexibility.

The visible wood is mostly solid white oak except for the white oak faced plywood for the panels on the sides.

The coffin is insulated with closed cell foam insulation.

I finished the wood with Sparurithane because it is supposedly more water resistant and won't turn white if exposed to water for a long time. I was told that polyurithane will turn white if it has standing water left on it for long periods of time.

The drip tray is 36" long and does drain. I have a hose going to a bucket inside the freezer for the drain. I was originally planning on buying a different drip tray, but the day I decided to actually pull the trigger on buying it, this one went on clearance making it cheaper than the one I originally planned on buying. The drip tray is bowled so it should drain nicely, but the floor is at an angle where the keezer sits so it tends to collect at the left end of the drip tray.

[edit]
Almost forgot one of the most important things, the current faucets are all Perlick 525SS stainless steal faucets.

Things I have yet to do:
buy beer gas setup and a stout faucet
buy/make some nice tap handles.

I also need to repair/replace one of my regulators. I had a dual regulator setup and one of the regulators failed, so I've removed it for now.

Apfelwein
Stout
Smoked Porter
Irish Amber Ale
Cherry Wheat

Old 11-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2814 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Please tell me it is that bright yellow in person and that your carpet really is that pink! That is awesome.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 11-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #7
Loup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The color in the pictures isn't that great. The carpet is red, orange and black shag. The most accurate picture for the wood color is probably the second picture.

Apfelwein
Stout
Smoked Porter
Irish Amber Ale
Cherry Wheat

Old 11-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
snowveil
that guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

That looks awesome!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
KirkMN
Recipes 

Man, that looks fantastic. If you're ever bored enough to want to help me build one that would be great. I don't have the wood working equipment I used to, but want something similar.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
Loup
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMN View Post
Man, that looks fantastic. If you're ever bored enough to want to help me build one that would be great. I don't have the wood working equipment I used to, but want something similar.
I don't even have the wood working or tile cutting equipment myself, I begged, borrowed or stole the actual tools needed, mostly from my father-in-law and one friend with access to a tile saw.

I did end up buying some floats and a couple of saw blades (concrete board chews up saw blades rather quickly.)

But thanks! I really had a lot of fun making it.
Apfelwein
Stout
Smoked Porter
Irish Amber Ale
Cherry Wheat

Quick Reply