Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Half are carbonated, half are not.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 03:49 AM   #1
mbtech
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Half are carbonated, half are not.

Ok, I bottled a nut brown ale with 5.2% abv 3 weeks ago. This saturday, the 21st, will be 4 weeks in the bottle. Some are carbonated, some aren't. Do I just need more time in the bottle, or is there something greater going on here? I used a red baron hand capper (I think thats the brand), primed with 3/4 cup corn sugar and water (boiled), stirred into 5 gallons to mix well and did not aerate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
PintOfBitter
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Are the caps on tightly on all the bottles? Do you get any "pffft" at all when opening the flat ones?

-PoB

Maybe you can use these Grain, Hops, Yeast Reference Charts
Come visit WildHopsPrintShop.com- custom bottle caps, beer glassware, tap handles, and more!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

is this a 'wing capper' as opposed to a bench capper? they are prone to bad seals the longer they get used.

are all the bottles identical or are some one brand, and the others another brand? again wing cappers can be picky...mine never liked new belgium bottles, but my bench capper is fine with them.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2767 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtech View Post
Ok, I bottled a nut brown ale with 5.2% abv 3 weeks ago. This saturday, the 21st, will be 4 weeks in the bottle. Some are carbonated, some aren't. Do I just need more time in the bottle, or is there something greater going on here? I used a red baron hand capper (I think thats the brand), primed with 3/4 cup corn sugar and water (boiled), stirred into 5 gallons to mix well and did not aerate.
Yes..If some beers are carbed and other's are not, then They're not really ready yet.

Each individual bottle is now it's own microcsm, it's own little world unto itself, with it's own little and even a slight variable in temp (like being on the side of your storage area closest to a heat source) could be conditioning slightly differently....at their own individual pace.

It's no different now really than if it were a carboy....you can split a batch in half put them in 2 identical carboys, and pitch equal amounts of yeast from the same starter...and have them act completely differently...for some reason on a subatomic level...think about it...yeasties are small...1 degree difference in temp to us, could be a 50 degree difference to them...one fermenter can be a couple degrees warmer because it's closer to a vent all the way across the room and the yeasties take off...

Someone, Grinder I think posted a pic once of 2 carboys touching each other, and one one of the carboys the krausen had formed only on the side that touched the other carboy...probably reacting to the heat of the first fermentation....

Some of your beers have lost the greeness and other's still have a bit more to go....

The 3 weeks at 70 is only a "suggestion" or rule of thumb for low to average grav beers....below 1.060...In a couple more weeks they would all even out.

Read my blog Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning, for more info...

Relax, all will be well.....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

Do you remember enough to know if the flat bottles are random or if there is a distinct distribution:

1. First ones capped, okay = not enough mixing.
2. Random = capping problem
3. Carbed in the middle of the case, not on the edges. Need to wait longer.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 11-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
mbtech
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PintOfBitter View Post
Are the caps on tightly on all the bottles? Do you get any "pffft" at all when opening the flat ones?
Well, a friend of mine took a case and I got a case. He opened the first one and it was carbed. The second 2 were not. He said they tasted ok, just no carb. I tried one of mine and it was carbed, but I am going to wait til thanksgiving before having any more. As for the bottle type, I have all sorts of bottles. New Belgum, Red Hook, Bass, ect. And I am using a winged capper. I have been thinking about buying a bench type so I guess now is the time. Hopefully these just need more time and it hasn't been an issue with not sealing. I would assume if they didn't seal, there would be some sort of contamination that would be noticable. Thanks all for your input.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
Ridebreck
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat with the brown ale I bottle 3.5 weeks ago. It tastes too damned nice when it's carbed, so I'm only opening one a week until the carb level becomes consistent. The one I had last night was nicely carbed and went down oh so well. In the mean time, I've got plenty of altbier to keep me company.

Quick Reply