Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Haier Kegerator Fridge Mod

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
keesimps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Haier Kegerator Fridge Mod - Kegerator Fridge Only Available on Ebay

I thought that some of you may be interested that a guy named Chris is selling the refrigerator only of a Haier kegerator at varied levels of distress. I purchased the Type "A" which is supposed to have the least amount of distress and there are a few small dents on the side, but the kegerator is overall in great condition... It comes with the tower hole pre-drilled, a shelf, the top rail and casters or feet. Here is the link - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_3424wt_941

I took my older Haier kegerator that I got on CL a few months back and am now converting it into a fermentation chamber. I couldn't pass up the deal on this beauty and so far it is cooling well on Normal. I decided that I wanted a kegerator setup that would allow me to be versatile and do three 5 g cornies when I start kegging and at least one commercial sanke. I got the tower and three gauge secondary from Beverage Factory. Here are some of my notes and pictures on the conversion in case some are interested.

I realized that the three gauge secondary was going to make it a lot tighter in the kegerator and may interfere with a keg if the fridge was full, so came up with an idea of mounting the gauges on top. So, I got three 1/4" x 3" brass nipples and couplings, drilled three 5/8" diameter holes 6" back from the edge of the tower hole.

I applied a small amount of clear silicon between the coupling and top of the kegerator and then screwed the nipple into the regulator.

I really liked the idea of cooling the lines with copper, so went out and got a 1" piece of foam pipe insulation to house the copper in. I sweated some 45's on three 12 1/4" pieces of copper (a little rusty with it nowadays, but at least it doesn't have to hold water) and wrapped them tightly in the insulation with foil tape.

After getting this together and trying to fit it into the hole and tower, I quickly realized that it wouldn't be able to go through the pre-drilled hole, so just trimmed the insulation slightly so that it would be mounted above the hole and strictly in the tower. It took some jostling to get all three copper pipes through the original tower hole and a lot of hand feeding of the beer lines, but managed to get them through. I cut up a few extra strands of the insulation and wrapped them around the last 1" or so of line that was uninsulated.

I drilled four new holes and mounted the 3" tower and the rail.

Finally, last night I completed the co2 hookup. One note is that the unit for sale on ebay does not come with the co2 tank bracket, so unless you have another laying around (I used the one from my other Haier kegerator), you'll have to come up with something. Added a keg of beer and fired the co2 tank up. Everything is seeming to work well. I'm very happy with my new baby and the versatility that will allow me to grow into it! We'll see how happy the woman is about it when she gets back....

dscf1743-edit.jpg   dscf1748-edit.jpg   dscf1752-edit.jpg   dscf1756-edit.jpg  

Reason: mis-worded

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
Jersh
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on this... We're moving from a condo to a house in a couple months and will have A LOT more room... So I hope to build a 3 tap kegerator and this is what I'm hoping to find to build... I'm still going to hope I find one locally but will consider one of these if they continue to sell them.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
keesimps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersh View Post
Thanks for the heads up on this... We're moving from a condo to a house in a couple months and will have A LOT more room... So I hope to build a 3 tap kegerator and this is what I'm hoping to find to build... I'm still going to hope I find one locally but will consider one of these if they continue to sell them.
You're welcome. The seller of the units is the best ebay seller I have ever encountered.... He even called me over the phone and helped me troubleshoot issues with my other Haier kegerator. I'm also extremely happy with the Micromatic three gauge secondary; it's very well built. Let us know what you come up with!

Old 05-26-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I hate to dredge up an old thread like this, but is there really enough room in there to fit three 5 gallon cornies? It sure doesn't look like it. In fact I'm not even sure two cornies will fit in there from the pictures.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:05 AM   #5
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I hate to dredge up an old thread like this, but is there really enough room in there to fit three 5 gallon cornies?
Yes, it holds three corny kegs, two 1/4 barrel kegs, or one 1/2 barrel keg. I also have a three body regulator inside mine, similar to the OP but with the gauges inside.

The only problem I've had is it will occasionally ice over. I've since put it on a timer that cuts the power for two hours every morning to defrost.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 05-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
The only problem I've had is it will occasionally ice over. I've since put it on a timer that cuts the power for two hours every morning to defrost.
Any info on how you did this? I'm having the same problem with my converted kegerator.

TIA

I brew lots of beer.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
lamarguy
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gritsak View Post
Any info on how you did this? I'm having the same problem with my converted kegerator.
Purchase a grounded wall timer from Walmart, Amazon, etc. and set it to kill the power for a couple of hours every morning. Mine goes to sleep from 4am - 6am every morning, which is sufficient to defrost the evaporator plate.

Planned: Lambic, American IPA
Fermenting: 6 gals of 1.090 stout (Belgian) & 6 gals of 1.090 stout (English)
Tapped: Berliner Weisse, Black English IPA, German Pils, & Live Oak Primus

Old 05-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Gritsak
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
Purchase a grounded wall timer from Walmart, Amazon, etc. and set it to kill the power for a couple of hours every morning. Mine goes to sleep from 4am - 6am every morning, which is sufficient to defrost the evaporator plate.

Great, thanks. I love simple solutions.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
JonW

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 40

What's happening to all the water when it's defrosting?

Also to the OP - was your 3 tap tower originally a 2 tap with the third middle one added on later? Is it actually taller than a normal 2 tap so all 3 have sufficient room underneath?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #10
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Where did you get the secondary regulators & gauges?

Quick Reply