Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Haier Fridge for 75 bucks?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #1
El_Borracho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Haier Fridge for 75 bucks?

A co-worker has a Haier fridge that is 4 or so cubic feet. He says it's about a year old but only used for about 6 months. I don't plan to ever have more than two cornies loaded up...

This looks good: http://anojoneshomebrew.wordpress.co.../13/kegerator/

Trying to make out cheap.. It's white so it matches my current appliances so I can park it right in the kitchen.

I'm just starting out, haven't even ordered my equipment yet...but I figure if I like it - or if I don't having a kegerator is good times.

5 gallon [US, liquid] = 640 ounce [US, liquid]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2007, 06:30 PM   #2
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If it has a freezer compartment, IMO it's a deal breaker.
Some people have managed to bend it down, but if you rupture the freon line, i't game over.

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 10-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #3
kilroy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Buy it - but do not try to make it cheap.
if it takes you a year to build then so be it - buy a new piece each month, till you have everything - then build it - otherwise you will spend more and more upgrading.

Take it from me - I did that - cost me 2x as much.

Kilroy

Primary:
Nothing - Out of room - have to bottle something before I can fit more on the aging shelf.

Secondary:
Lost count, too many damn carboys

Old 10-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Mine had the freezer in it and luckily I was able to bend it and it still works. I can fit 2 kegs in it. I had to do some handy work to the door and the insides, it's kind of ugly, had to put new insulation on the door, and still have to kick it into place sometimes, but it works. I paid $75 for it. Then about few weeks later I got a full size fridge for $50 that can hold my hops in its freezer compartment, my washed yeast in the door and 2 kegs (possibly 4 havn't tried) + 20lb co2 tank no problem

Old 10-23-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

If it will fit 2 cornies without issue - go for it. You'll save $125+ over buying a new 4.9 cubic foot mini-fridge.

However, you say it is 4 "or so" cubic feet. Probably not big enough at 4.0 - most of them converted fridges are closer to 5 cubic feet (4912 = 4.9 - Kenmore 4.9, etc).

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #6
El_Borracho
Recipes 

I haven't seen this one, but the dude tells me the freezer is in the upper right corner. I want something small, clean, and white - I have a lot of space in my kitchen (which leads out to yard and back in through the family room). If it isn't an eye-sore the wife will love it.

I hope I don't spend a year building it:
75.00-100.00 for a fridge
50.00-75.00 for 3 cornies (i'll probably keep the 3rd in my regular fridge for storage).
180.00-200.00 for a c02 kit..

damn maybe I should just buy one? Or am I over estimating? I haven't even calculated taps..

Old 10-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
El_Borracho
Recipes 

Woohoo!

Some dude around the way has a Beer Meister, 100 bucks. Also found a few of the Avanti devices on craigslist for about 250, and one for 300..

So am I still better off building?

Old 10-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Here's what I paid to start kegging:

$75 mini fridge
$100 4 cornies. Shipped. (kegconnection.com sale)
$100 20lb co2 tank filled. (welding supply shp)
$50 3 gauge regulator (ebay)
$35 gas disconnects disconnects and tubing and single picnic faucet (can switch between kegs manually).

Just paid $50 for a second full size fridge.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Price depends on what you want...

Depends on your tap preferences (picnic tap versus single tower versus double tower versus shanks in a collar of a keezer), what quality parts you plan to use (e.g. forward seal v normal faucets), etc.

I'm sure you could build a kegerator out of a used CL fridge and cheap parts and a picnic tap for $200-300 without issue. Will it serve kegged homebrew - sure. Will it look good - maybe. Could it be much better with higher quality parts - definitely. If you are up for this trade up, go for saving a few bucks.

On the other hand, if you want a stainless, dual tapped tower, forward seal faucets, dual regulators to serve your kegs at different psi, and a brand-new mini-fridge (not dented like a used CL item might be), etc. then you will spend $600-700 to do it right... Will it serve homebrew - sure. Will it look good - definitely. Could it be made of much higher quality parts - it might be tough to upgrade if you use the right parts to begin with.

Theres definitely a trade off and this is another place where, "you get what you pay for" rings so true.

Currently Consuming (HB): Apfelwein on Tap Troegs Hopback on Tap; Craft Bottles
Fermenting/Conditioning: Up Next: Hop Trio American Wheat, Lake Walk Pale Ale
In Planning Stage: Farmhouse Saison and Something Oaked.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #10
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
Price depends on what you want...

Depends on your tap preferences (picnic tap versus single tower versus double tower versus shanks in a collar of a keezer), what quality parts you plan to use (e.g. forward seal v normal faucets), etc.

I'm sure you could build a kegerator out of a used CL fridge and cheap parts and a picnic tap for $200-300 without issue. Will it serve kegged homebrew - sure. Will it look good - maybe. Could it be much better with higher quality parts - definitely. If you are up for this trade up, go for saving a few bucks.

On the other hand, if you want a stainless, dual tapped tower, forward seal faucets, dual regulators to serve your kegs at different psi, and a brand-new mini-fridge (not dented like a used CL item might be), etc. then you will spend $600-700 to do it right... Will it serve homebrew - sure. Will it look good - definitely. Could it be made of much higher quality parts - it might be tough to upgrade if you use the right parts to begin with.

Theres definitely a trade off and this is another place where, "you get what you pay for" rings so true.
The only thing here that will make the beer better, honestly, is the faucets. But you can upgrade from picnic faucets to towers or shanks when the time comes, picnic faucets are cheap and do the trick while you need to save for those stunning towers you want. As I'm doing right now.

I can serve at different psi as well, which I think is a good idea and not much more to make this available. Worth the extra pennies at the beginning.

Quick Reply