Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Haier 7.1 cu ft freezer for $175 at Costco

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #41
abarhan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK331 View Post
Does anyone who has one of these know if it will hold two 6.5 gallon carboys?
Yes, tight but yes

You have the voice of an angel. Your voice is like a combination of Fergie and Jesus.

Can we turn our beds into bunk beds? It would free up so much room for activities.

Stay golden, Ponyboy.

Exposure Brewing Co.

Follow on FB, Schwitter and Goggle+

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #42
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Anyone done a Keezer with one of these? Im looking at doing a Coffin Keezer, was curious if anyone else had already done it and had dimensions or google sketch up plans...

For example i measured from the ground to the highest point i could find and it was 33 inches along the sides of the lid where the raised siding is...but the manufacturer says its 33 1/4th inches...im trying to figure out where that last bit is...

Also all of the molding/siding i am not sure how i go about attaching 2x4's or something at the corners to it since its uneven...

Old 09-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #43
LateraLex
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
Anyone done a Keezer with one of these? Im looking at doing a Coffin Keezer, was curious if anyone else had already done it and had dimensions or google sketch up plans...

For example i measured from the ground to the highest point i could find and it was 33 inches along the sides of the lid where the raised siding is...but the manufacturer says its 33 1/4th inches...im trying to figure out where that last bit is...

Also all of the molding/siding i am not sure how i go about attaching 2x4's or something at the corners to it since its uneven...
I made a Keezer out of this, I took some laminate wood about 6" tall and 1.5" wide. I had no issue gluing this to the rim, as it seemed very even to me. I can take some pictures if that helps.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #44
wadewegner
Recipes 

I'd really appreciate it if anyone would be willing to share their notes on how they converted this freezer into a keezer. I'm not particularly handy and will need all the help I can get!

I plan to have four kegs inside and my 10# CO2 tank outside.

In addition to turning this into a keezer I'd appreciate guidance on choosing and installing the temperature controller.

Thanks so much!

Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 PM   #45
Scripts
Recipes 

I ended up getting a different freezer, but for the temperature control I picked up a single stage digital Ranco. Super easy to setup, and for a few bucks more you can get them prewired with plugs. You shouldn't need to make a collar to fit four kegs in it, so the controller should be all you need.

I wired my own controller since I had plugs and cable left over from a previous product, but if you're not super handy I would just spend the couple bucks on getting the prewired unit. You'd spend the money saved on the blank unit on the needed electrical parts anyways. So if you get a unit that is wired with plugs, it's literally just a plug and play setup and finding somewhere to mount the controller. The Ranco and Johnsons just need a screw to hang off of.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #46
LateraLex
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewegner
I'd really appreciate it if anyone would be willing to share their notes on how they converted this freezer into a keezer. I'm not particularly handy and will need all the help I can get!

I plan to have four kegs inside and my 10# CO2 tank outside.

In addition to turning this into a keezer I'd appreciate guidance on choosing and installing the temperature controller.

Thanks so much!
I'm on my phone, but would suggest you watch the northern brewer tutorial on how to build a keezer (YouTube). The directions there work perfectly for this freezer.
Now if I could only get my drip tray to stick...

Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 AM   #47
LanceBoyle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

[QUOTE=Scripts;4438146]I ended up getting a different freezer, but for the temperature control I picked up a single stage digital Ranco. Super easy to setup, and for a few bucks more you can get them prewired with plugs. You shouldn't need to make a collar to fit four kegs in it, so the controller should be all you need.

Usually you put the collar on for the taps, otherwise you might damage the freezer walls. At least that's what I have heard. I don't know what is in the side walls of the freezer itself. All you need is some 2X6's for a collar. I made mine with 45 degree angle cuts but I wouldn't do it that way again. Just butt them together and fasten them with screws. I attached my collar to the keezer with insulation putty. You can always use some party taps until you get around to making a collar.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #48
Scripts
Recipes 

A collar would also allow a keg or big CO2 tank to sit on the hump.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #49
frothus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm building a keezer with the Haier 7.1. I have a 5.5"x0.75" red oak collar that I'm working on. I'll reinforce the back with 1'5" of foam insulation and cover it with foil tape.

I'd like to attach a computer case fan to the collar. Currently I'm wondering the merits of building a false bottom for the kegs to rest on to allow airflow. If I build one... what should I make it out of?

Work in progress, I still need to carve away some of the corners so the lid will close:
forumrunner_20120928_104337.jpg

Edit: Yes, I spray-painted a brand new freezer black. It felt strange, but I don't care for white appliances.

Fermenting:
Conditioning: Imperial Stout, Flanders Red

http://froth.us/

Old 09-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #50
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Here is what it looks like with 9" measuring circles:

I just bought two (2) 7 CF Chest Freezers from Sears (they have sales all the time... Home Depot and Lowes too)... they hold 4 Corney kegs (very tight) but my plan is for just three.

See them here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-t...u-guys-357239/

DPB

Quick Reply