Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Growlers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 10:13 PM   #1
CAlexander
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Growlers

Hey guys, I've got some 64 oz twist top growlers from a local microbrewery and I was wondering if there are any tricks to bottling in them. Are the twist off's ok? Let me know. Thanks.

Primary - Amaterasu Honey Blonde, Orange Blossom Mead
Bottled - Pinot Noir
Drinking - Cthulhu Stout, Santa's Little Helper III, Hard Lemonade

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
hialtitude
Recipes 

I regularly bottle homebrew in growlers. I picked up some heavy duty growler caps from my LHBS. They are much different than the ones your local brewery will give you with a fill. To be honest, I don't exactly know why they are better/necessay, but they were cheap so I didn't argue.

The upside of bottling in a growler is that it is a great size to take to a friends house have a few people taste the brew. If I bring over bottles and let them pour, I tend to watch them like a hawk explaining why not to pour the entire bottle in the glass (yeast).

The downside to growlers is that I have often wanted to taste the progress of my beer during aging. This limits me by the fact that I don't want to crack an entire growler when a bottle would do.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:00 PM   #3
CAlexander
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hialtitude
I regularly bottle homebrew in growlers. I picked up some heavy duty growler caps from my LHBS. They are much different than the ones your local brewery will give you with a fill. To be honest, I don't exactly know why they are better/necessay, but they were cheap so I didn't argue.

The upside of bottling in a growler is that it is a great size to take to a friends house have a few people taste the brew. If I bring over bottles and let them pour, I tend to watch them like a hawk explaining why not to pour the entire bottle in the glass (yeast).

The downside to growlers is that I have often wanted to taste the progress of my beer during aging. This limits me by the fact that I don't want to crack an entire growler when a bottle would do.
Great, thanks for the input! I'd ideally like to do a little of both, turning a batch into about 24 bottles and 5 growlers. Makes bottling a lot easier and is the best of both worlds. I think I'll see if my LHBS has some of the heavy duty growler caps, can't hurt.

Primary - Amaterasu Honey Blonde, Orange Blossom Mead
Bottled - Pinot Noir
Drinking - Cthulhu Stout, Santa's Little Helper III, Hard Lemonade

Old 03-28-2007, 11:42 PM   #4
RickWG
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hialtitude
This is why I bottle in 12's or 16's. That and if your friends want your beer you don't have to give away a 22 or a growler. Gifts of some 12 ozer's are fun too. I got friends that love em.

Quick Reply