Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Growler Screw-tops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2007, 03:59 PM   #1
Whelk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Growler Screw-tops

I just picked up a growler of porter from the Berkshire Brewing Company and I noticed that the metal screw-top was a little different from the plastic screwtop on the only other growler I have (from a HBS). The HBS growler has a little plastic bit on the inside of the cap, I assume to make the screwtop safe to use for bottle conditioning. Do you all think the metal screwtop will work, or should I play it safe and not use it?

Nothing until I figure out if I can make it happen over in the UK.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Growlers work best for transporting the finished product. I would not reccommend using them for anything other then propagating yeast or transporting beer.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #3
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I personally wouldn't bottle condition in a growler. I am pretty sure some do, but I would not......the caps aren't designed to be permanent, reliable seals, they are simply meant to do a good enough job to keep the beer drinkable for a few days or weeks. the breweries who are shipping with the metal caps have nice systems to pressure seal the caps.....they don't just screw them on like you or I would.

I use those same plastic double-caps from the LHBS and have had success pouring off a keg and having the beer still good up to 6-7 days later, provided you seal it at filling and then tighten it. Once you open it, it will only last a day or maybe two.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
Fiery Sword

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

glibbidy is right tho, they make great vessels for yeast'ing. I have a troupe of Magic Hat, Cambridge Brewing Co and Cape Cod Beer growlers. When not drinking from them or yeast'ing and I'm really bored, I fill them up to different levels with water and play jug band songs on them.

Magic Hat meets WLP800:

Old 02-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
Whelk
Recipes 

Haha, I like the jug band suggestion. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it--for the record, I had no problem with the double-cap after at least a month and a half, but I won't be using it again, just to be safe.

Since I'm lazy and don't want to dig around for a tape measure, what size rubber stopper is good for a growler? I'd imagine they're all the same size mouth, right?

Old 02-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #6
DesertBrew
You're not my type
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 173

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whelk
Since I'm lazy and don't want to dig around for a tape measure, what size rubber stopper is good for a growler? I'd imagine they're all the same size mouth, right?
I don't remember the size, but I use the same one's that I use for my carboys. It's just a tighter fit. About 1/4" fits in there.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #7
Whelk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
I don't remember the size, but I use the same one's that I use for my carboys. It's just a tighter fit. About 1/4" fits in there.

Sounds good, thanks.

Old 02-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #8
bnutting

Recipes 

I just bottled a growler using the same plastic cap that you describe with a nut brown ale. We only did one growler as a test, if it does not explode and holds the fizz then we know that we can use them!

I had a big discussion on this very topic on several forums and the general consensus was that the growlers would work with good caps. From what I've been told those cheap metal ones will probably not work.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #9
Whelk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnutting
I just bottled a growler using the same plastic cap that you describe with a nut brown ale. We only did one growler as a test, if it does not explode and holds the fizz then we know that we can use them!

I had a big discussion on this very topic on several forums and the general consensus was that the growlers would work with good caps. From what I've been told those cheap metal ones will probably not work.

Yeah, I mean, the plastic cap worked fine, but I wasn't using it for more than a month or so. I doubt it'd be good for a very long time, but it's not like it's a huge deal to just use regular bottles, so I'm not going to run the risk of ruining a half-gallon of precious, precious beer.

Quick Reply